Pinguino Forum

Full Version: MPLabX & Pinguino without X3 IDE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was hoping to use the MPLabX IDE with a Pic32-pinguino-otg. Is it possible to program the board from within the IDE (setting ???? as an upload tool as per avrdude in Atmel studio when working with Arduino) If not is there a command line tool I can use within Windows (had a look at Pinguino.py for clues - but stumped here)

Thanks for any pointers.....
You'd have to use C (or C++) only, or rewrite what the python does.

If you can't cope with the python this is probably unwise for you.

You'd have to use all your own low-level code that is now done for you, too.

You would not be using Pinguino, but just C (or C++).

John
Pity - was hoping to use the MPLabX IDE (or Eclipse) instead of X.3 (Just as I use Atmel Studio 6 with the Arduino). I know next to nothing of Python - but am experienced in C++. Which bits are in Python so would have to be redone? - most (all?) of the libraries will compile under MPLab (as they are in C) - point me towards the "uploader" section of the Python code and I'll tinker with it!

As mentioned I was hoping to find a command line tool such as avrdude to handle the upload process - but if it is all done in Python then it may be easier to use an ICSP tool from Microchip? I'll start looking at learning some Python too.

(16-12-2012, 11:54 AM)pingotg Wrote: [ -> ]You'd have to use C (or C++) only, or rewrite what the python does.

If you can't cope with the python this is probably unwise for you.

You'd have to use all your own low-level code that is now done for you, too.

You would not be using Pinguino, but just C (or C++).

John
The upload is already command line. The python just uses it.

python is easy to read, just look.

You seem to want to make your life harder yet do not have the skills, so I suggest either to learn a bit more or just go with the IDE.

You can use MPLAB now, even though it's more work.

I guess you already realise Eclipse is not especially fast or small...

Of course if you use these other tools it is likely you will need a PICkit 2 or 3 as you are likely at some point to overwrite the bootloader.

John
Ah - a clue at least. I'm not sure how I want to make my life harder by using MPLab - having a familiarity with the IDE (Visual Studio) and a debugger etc would make my life easier - and I prefer C++. I'm not sure which skills I lack here - just a lack of time to go through the source code to work out how everything works.

As an observation - I have found the learning curve steeper with Pinguino than other microcontroller platforms - from the installation of the software/drivers (worked fine on one machine - another still will not work (my 2nd installation)) to needing to open STDOUT to see error messages from the compiler & linker. This is a pity - the hardware is good - faster and better specified than Arduino (the Due notwithstanding) and is cheaper too. The IDE is good too - again much more modern than the Arduino software - which slows my (fairly recent) laptop to a crawl. Unfortunately, the documentation and software aren't quite there yet - telling folk to read through the source and do likewise doesn't cut it in my book - the platform needs more users working with it, putting more software and how-tos into the public domain. Describing the changes needed to use a library as trivial is, again, likely to turn users away (if it is trivial then document the steps needed - it saves everyone from reinventing the wheel). Likewise when recommending a library or resource then a link is helpful!

Apologies if that reads like a rant - it's not intended to be, more a call to arms for the Pinguino platform - lets make it accessible to beginners as well as hardcore techies and build the user base.

Martin

(16-12-2012, 07:16 PM)pingotg Wrote: [ -> ]The upload is already command line. The python just uses it.

python is easy to read, just look.

You seem to want to make your life harder yet do not have the skills, so I suggest either to learn a bit more or just go with the IDE.

You can use MPLAB now, even though it's more work.

I guess you already realise Eclipse is not especially fast or small...

Of course if you use these other tools it is likely you will need a PICkit 2 or 3 as you are likely at some point to overwrite the bootloader.

John
More volunteers with time are needed. Clearly you are not one as you cannot spare the time to look at the source which unlike many platforms is provided. So you see the problem.

If you want to use MPLAB, just use it. Why don't you?

John
Catch-22 - if I could I would....

Perhaps reread my comments - Pointing me in the right direction (python file - line number?) also gives guidance to anyone else reading the topic. Telling me what I'm trying to do is
a) beyond me
b) stupid (it may well be - but give me reasons why)
c) easy, if only I were smarter (possibly also true)
- helps no-one.

Martin

(16-12-2012, 09:47 PM)pingotg Wrote: [ -> ]More volunteers with time are needed. Clearly you are not one as you cannot spare the time to look at the source which unlike many platforms is provided. So you see the problem.

If you want to use MPLAB, just use it. Why don't you?

John
I don't see why you can't just use MPLAB as you apparently wish. Surely it supports the CPU. You don't need anything from this (Pinguino) project.

I've posted before in the forum about how the Pinguino IDE works internally when sending a compiled program to a p32 target. There are multiple command line tools just to do that, though then you would not be in MPLAB. These are readily found using google (it's how I found them) and include pic32prog and mphidflash. You do not need MPLAB or Pinguino to use such tools and indeed I have used them without either.

If you want to use MPLAB, I ask again, why don't you?

John
Thanks for the information - I suspect I'll continue to use both enviroments. Experimenting and trying to find the "best" (which is obviously subjective - what's best for me may not be best for everyone or indeed even me tomorrow) is surely part of the learning process.

Thanks again for your time.

Martin

(17-12-2012, 01:15 AM)pingotg Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see why you can't just use MPLAB as you apparently wish. Surely it supports the CPU. You don't need anything from this (Pinguino) project.

I've posted before in the forum about how the Pinguino IDE works internally when sending a compiled program to a p32 target. There are multiple command line tools just to do that, though then you would not be in MPLAB. These are readily found using google (it's how I found them) and include pic32prog and mphidflash. You do not need MPLAB or Pinguino to use such tools and indeed I have used them without either.

If you want to use MPLAB, I ask again, why don't you?

John
You're welcome. I suspect "best" will keep changing but C++ will not be it (unless used as C with hardly any more features, and that is risky and tough to do right).

The I/O on the pic32 is so sophisticated it's never going to be realistic or sensible to bypass the Microchip datasheets.

John
Pages: 1 2