Pinguino Forum

Full Version: CDC.print or Serial.print
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can figure out what's the difference among CDC.print and Serial.print , which one I must use on my Pinguino PIC32 MICRO, and why none of them works today although yesterday at least one of them worked (can't remember which one, did thousands of tests...) Dodgy

Using IDE x.3, rev unknown, on Win XP SP3.
Your post does not make sense!

Please try again.

John
Hi Jumpjack,
CDC (or USB CDC) is a USB Virtual COM Port which is a software interface that enables applications to access a USB device as if it were a built-in serial port.
You can use both CDC and Serial on Pinguino. It's up to you and your application. Of course, USB and Serial pins are different.
If you need serial communication between your Pinguino and your PC, then you will also need a serial/ttl converter (2 transistors).
USB CDC requires only a USB cable.
RĂ©gis

(12-01-2013, 07:35 PM)pingotg Wrote: [ -> ]Your post does not make sense!

Please try again.

John
so it does not have serial-over-USB like arduino?
but i see a com11 appearing on my system when board runs a cdc statement; maybe serial.xxx statements run a REAL serial port, separated from USB-emulated serial port?
Hi

Serial on USB is CDC.print
Serial on COM port is serialx.print

Bye Bye, Moreno
(15-01-2013, 01:19 PM)jumpjack Wrote: [ -> ]so it does not have serial-over-USB like arduino?

regis just said yes it does, that is CDC.

John
You have enabled CDC and there is a com11 on your PC. congratulations! Connect to it with hyperterm, 9600 bps.

I have had silly problems with Serial.print() or was it serial.print (jumbled output), now I use only Serial.printf(), followed by Serial.flush(); which in its present form doesn't wipe the serial port but waits until outbuffer is empty.

On the PIC32Micro, the Serial port is on the UEXT connector. Use a 3V-rs232 converter and things will be fine.