Pinguino Forum

Full Version: Pinguino 18F4550 SSB (New Design)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm working in a Pinguino SSB (Super Simple Board). That means it only has a single layer, homebrew, cheap, and "recycled parts-friendly".
List of features:
-USB Mini B connector. SMD/SMT connector used in almost every MP3, MP4, some cellphones, chargers, pretty much every electronic device that is small and need USB connectivity.
-Breadboard/Protoboard compatible
-Both LED's (Power and Run)
-No wire bridges (just one in the beta board, it's not there in the version 2 Beta)
-3 Resistors, 4 Ceramic capacitors and 1 Electrolytic capacitor.
-SMD components: the resistors and one of the capacitors are SMD's. THEY ARE RECYCLED! Big Grin
-Really small (79mm x 28mm more or less)
-Made with PIC18F4550, powerful 8-bit giant Big Grin

I leave in attachment two PCB designs made in Proteus ARES, one is the board with the bridge and the other one without it.

WARNING: this is a Beta design, if you encounter problems, please tell me so I can correct them.
New board!
In this design I:
- Eliminated the bridge
- Added the Open Hardware logo, some labels (Pinguino, 4550-SSB).
- Corrected some wires that were too close from a pad and maybe short-out when etching the board.
- Changed the pads shape of the PIC, they are now square, so they can be soldered easily.

Well, that's all by now, hope you like it. Write a comment, ask many questions as you want!
Cheers!
In my opinion, it will be more consistent with your project to :
1/ use Kicad instead of Proteus ARES
2/ use PIC18F45K50 instead of PIC18F4550
(03-02-2014, 12:03 PM)regis Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, it will be more consistent with your project to :
1/ use Kicad instead of Proteus ARES
2/ use PIC18F45K50 instead of PIC18F4550

Thanks for your reply,
1- I will take a look at Kicad, because Proteus and Eagle do not satisfy my needs, they both have too many problems, I hope Kicad doesn't.
2- I could use it -If I could find it- Where I live (Argentina) is a little bit difficult get them, and If you have luck to find someone who sell them, you will need to pay a lot for it. Because of the goverment we can't buy things outside (we can, but signing a lot of papers and paying more than the product itself).
Cheers

Edit: I just tried KiCad and I think it's even more difficult to use due to lack of libraries and the schematic to PCB conversion takes a lot of time, the components footprints are not well labeled, they do not show the pitch, the schematic editor looks very old and the component placement can be a lot more easier than it actually is. So I will keep using Proteus until I find a better software.
You mean you can not buy things on the internet ?
Did you consider microchip samples? I do not know whether it is possible fore Argentina, but under normal circumstances you can get up to 3 samples per item free of charge, even without a business address, for instance 3x45K50 DIP, 3x45K50SO, 3x25K50 DIP which would be a start. It may take much longer than they tell on their samples site (last time it took about 5 Months in total ..)
The 45K50 should be very close to the 4550, so it should be easy to modify your layout so that it works with both?
Could u publish Images of your desing, i no have proteus...
Sorry for not replying earlier.
I can't buy things online. The goverment charges us 50% more of the item value, plus is very difficult to get dollars.
I will try to get a corporative or educational e-mail, so I can get some samples from Microchip (I tried)
As soon I have a picture I will be uploading it.
Hi Facu, I live in Argentina too (Buenos Aires).

If you reside near Capital Federal, you can look at SyC (Semiconductores y Componentes). Located at Paraná 274 (C1017AAF) Buenos Aires Argentina, Tel/Fax:4371-5300.

I have buyed (Se dice así?) a PIC18F2550 last month for Pesos Argentinos $112.- (near U$D13).

Cheers
I provide PIC (8- or 32-bit) with pre-installed bootloader for 5 € to promote Pinguino and self construction but you need to use Paypal. If you think about another solution to provide Pinguino components to your country (BitCoin ?), plesse tell me.

Quote:I have buyed (Se dice así?) a PIC18F2550 last month for Pesos Argentinos $112.- (near U$D13).