Pinguino Forum

Full Version: Tools for assembly programming 32 bit Pinguino
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies for a newbie question, I'd really appreciate some basic info, so that I know that what I need is actually is available somewhere and I can look for it.
Does the Pinguino IDE include the tools for assembly programming, i.e. at least the assembler? Are there other free IDEs I could use, possibly including a debugger sw and requiring an inexpensive emulator hw?
Thanks!
Hi

If you want the Maximum from you Pinguino board you need use MicroChip MPLab tools http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-.../home.html
and a device like this https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Prog.../PIC-KIT3/ to programming and dubugging Pinguino Board.

Obviously MPLab and Pinguino IDE are not compatible, you can use one or other.

Bye Bye, Moreno
You can use inline assembly, if you need to include some assembly in your C program. Something like :

- for SDCC (8-Bit chips) : __asm__("tblwt*+");
- for GCC (32-Bit chips) : asm volatile("mfc0    %0, $9" : "=r" (timer));

If you need to write your whole program in assembly then, as Moreno said, go for MPLABX tools.
Or, as all compilers used with Pinguino come with an assembler, simply use your favorite editor and gpasm (or mpasm) or p32-as, depending on the chip you want to program.
You can use inline assembly, if you need to include some assembly in your C program. Something like :

- for SDCC (8-Bit chips) : __asm__("tblwt*+");
- for GCC (32-Bit chips) : asm volatile("mfc0    %0, $9" : "=r" (timer));

If you need to write your whole program in assembly then, as Moreno said, go for MPLABX tools.
Or, as all compilers used with Pinguino come with an assembler, simply use your favorite editor and gpasm (or mpasm) or p32-as, depending on the chip you want to program.
Thanks! I don't think I'll use inline assembly in my first experiments, though is it definitely more practical for large projects to use C rather than assembly. I am looking at MPLAB and I understand the 32 bit Pinguino boards have the ICSP connector I could use for a PicKit programmer/debugger. I hope installing the free versions of  MPLAB and of the XC32 compiler won't be too much of a hassle, I'll do it in the next few days.
Good luck with MIPS assembly !
Wink
Use C. The chips are so fast and the assembly language so horrible!!

John