Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supporting other PIC chips
22-11-2011, 03:36 AM,
RE: Supporting other PIC chips
Hello

Thank you for your comments.

It is a problem when there are so many devices with minor differences.
I wondered about configuring the underlying tools to support more devices, like a standard gputils installation, then have Pinguino produce a hex file that can be uploaded using ICSP if USB is not available. I don't know.

I think Arduino and Pinguino are very good and it is not a problem using PIC18F as the minimum device. Having to use USB on the device is very good for education and hobby but is limiting for small embedded applications. Maybe one of the reasons Arduino has done so well is that it does use USB and is simple; if you don't count all the problems with Windows and USB drivers Wink

Years ago I asked Microchip about PIC development on Linux and they said it would not happen as there was no demand. Maybe they have now seen a demand.
Yesterday I installed the Beta of MPLAB-X for the first time on a Ubuntu Linux machine, which went surprisingly well. The instructions were vague and I was not expecting it to be so easy. This lead me to discover that my ICD-2 and Pickit-2 programmers are now out of date; so I am getting a Pickit-3, which is supported by MPLAB-X. I was using Windows to drive the ICSP programmers as I have not found a reliable Linux ICSP software. Maybe now I can leave Windows behind. I see that the latest version on gputils has just recently added support for the 26K20 and family. Now I must work out how to upgrade gputils. It is never as easy as it should be Smile

I really have to develop in the final processor as I have a custom circuit board and my project involves many interrupts, one nested interrupt and critical timing to manage fast SPI, UART, PPM (decoding and generation), oversampled ADC and I2C.

Paul

(21-11-2011, 07:12 PM)Jean-Pierre Wrote: Hi Paul

Of course it could be very interesting to port Pinguino on most of the Microchip devices. Instead of making compatible the IDE, I think a good solution could be to make a tool to compile your program for another chip. For example, if you want to build a program for a 26K20, you can test it on a 2550 Pinguino and when everything is working ( most of the program of course ) it could be possible to translate the program to work on a 26k20.
At this moment this is only an old idea !! Fortunately, Regis and his team is working on a new board with a 26J50. On this chip, most of the IO can be redefined so ( I think ) you can affect SPI to some pins and UART to another pin. It could solve your problem.
Regis is working hard to make Pinguino compatible with this chip and, as I know, it's quite ready !!

Jean-Pierre

Messages In This Thread
Supporting other PIC chips - by PMB-NZ - 21-11-2011, 10:36 AM
RE: Supporting other PIC chips - by Jean-Pierre - 21-11-2011, 07:12 PM
RE: Supporting other PIC chips - by PMB-NZ - 22-11-2011, 03:36 AM
RE: Supporting other PIC chips - by tochinet - 19-12-2011, 05:41 PM