Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinguino32X needs a presentation on chipkit.cc
02-08-2011, 03:18 AM,
Pinguino32X needs a presentation on chipkit.cc
People who use chipkit boards with mpide, begin to be impatient. And they are asking about Pinguino! I think is time for a proper presentation here:
http://www.chipkit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=258

Vasi
04-08-2011, 04:28 PM,
RE: Pinguino32X needs a presentation on chipkit.cc
Hi Vasi,
Thank you for the link.
Here is what I answered.
Please, feel free to add your opinion to the thread.
Régis

Quote:Hi,
My name is Regis and I'm a member of the Pinguino Team.
Here are some features from the 32-bit Pinguino made for us by Olimex:

* Pinguino32 combines compatibility with the popular Arduino open source hardware prototyping platform with the performance of the Microchip PIC32 microcontroller.
* The Pinguino32 is the same form factor as the Arduino Uno board and is compatible with Arduino shields (extra IO's from the microcontroller itself are not all available).
* Pre-installed Bootloader
* It features a USB OTG port interface for connection to the Pinguino IDE and can be powered via USB or an external power supply.
* USB On-The-Go will make your Pinguino able to communicate with your Smartphone or other USB device (currently under development).
* The Pinguino32 board takes advantage of the powerful PIC32MX440F256H microcontroller. This microcontroller features a 32-bit MIPS processor core running at 80Mhz, 256K of flash program memory and 32K of SRAM data memory.
* The Pinguino32 can be programmed using of a modified and improved version of the Arduino IDE, available as a FREE download. Compatibilty has been tested and is almost 100% (some libraries are still under development, Ethernet for ex.). The Pinguino IDE itself is written in Python. The C/C++ Compiler is a GNU-Mips toolchain based on GCC 4.5.2, binutils 2.21 and Newlib 1.19.
* You can also use this board without Pinguino tools (i.e with MPLABX and C32 compiler from Microchip).
* The Pinguino32 features industrial grade components with industrial grade temperature work range -25+85C.
* The Pinguino32 has a noise immune design, wide input power supply (6-30VDC) which will enable this board to be used in industrial applications where 24VDC is common.
* Special care for Analog part with separate power supply (ADC values noise free).
* All buttons are on the edges of the board, they are available even if shields are on this board.
* All LEDs are on the edges of the board and then visible even with shields on the board.
* Low frequency crystal for RTC (Real Time Clock) implementation
* UEXT (SPI, I2C, UART) connector on board
* ICSP programming connector will allow even normal programs not developed with Pinguino to be loaded
* microSD card slot on the back of the board

Please take a look on our site www dot pinguino dot cc to make an opinion.
Régis

It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
05-08-2011, 03:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 07:54 PM by funlw65.)
Hi Regis,

You must add another comment there...
You presented Olimex board (good thing, and is better than Chipkit Uno32) and you said something about gcc version. You said also that the IDE is a modified version of Arduino IDE and that is not true.

But the most important thing (and the discussion subject on that thread), you forgot to give details about Arduino libraries (yes, you started to say something but is not enough) and their status, as Chipkit team did.

So, I think the Pinguino team must discuss that and make a statement there - is what Arduino people are expecting most (I believe they will show interest for a limited period of time because they already have Arduino and not only that).
Success!

Best regards,
Vasi

P.S. Contact Venezuela team and ask for their themes for Pinguino. Are much better and suitable (it feels like original Arduino IDE and that is also important Wink ) than an Linux icon set. At least for the image on the front page of pinguino.cc

P.P.S. It must be done something about spammers... the site looks like abandoned one (I have noted that on Pinguino Google Group was a lot more activity as anyone can have a Google account today and is more comfortable to login on only one universal account - this is what is happening also with the jallib, they moved from google blogspot for a private site and lost a lot of interactivity. Though, they still have the google group).

(04-08-2011, 04:28 PM)admin Wrote: Hi Vasi,
Thank you for the link.
Here is what I answered.
Please, feel free to add your opinion to the thread.
Régis
Quote:.....* The Pinguino32 can be programmed using of a modified and improved version of the Arduino IDE, available as a FREE download. Compatibilty has been tested and is almost 100% (some libraries are still under development, Ethernet for ex.). The Pinguino IDE itself is written in Python. The C/C++ Compiler is a GNU-Mips toolchain based on GCC 4.5.2, binutils 2.21 and Newlib 1.19.

05-08-2011, 07:49 PM,
Some how, I can see Chipkit team giving up on Microchip programming suite and adopting Pinguino development chain, adapting it to Arduino IDE ...

Otherwise, they are running out of time. Releasing the project without finishing porting Arduino libraries was a huge mistake from their part. And Microchip did not help at all in porting Arduino libraries (they prepare their own libraries).

Anyway, Maximite project (they also use PIC32MX795F512H) is going very well and requests for Maximite boards or complete units are very high. Maybe Chipkit Max32 boards will find a use in providing Maximite boards as shields for their board.

Vasi
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM,
Does it produce a pure .hex file that can be programmed using a PICkit programmer or just with the bootloader?
What is the minimum connections required to build a Pinquino compatible board?
Is there a compiler for MAC?
The Maximite site expalins all this type of information and more which helps make it more popular as Vasi refers to.
It looks like the Pinquino is a great product/project. It just needs more detail. The website is very sparse for detail.
08-09-2011, 10:53 PM,
@elproducts:
Pinguino currently hasn't a working OSX Compiler....but they said they are working on it. In fact there are lots of arduino like 32bit boards out there and developing.
I have sucessfully tested a Maple (rev5) http://www.leaflabs.com on my MacBook Pro. The only issue was when parallels was running it somehow routed the USB port incorrect and the board wasn't found. When Parallels was shut down it worked great.
Wait for Pinguino or have a look at Maple (olimex also builds boards). They are in the same price range (if you look at Olimex)
23-09-2011, 09:16 PM,
I can't believe they (chipkit team) deleted the post of Regis!!!
But, you can still see there advertising for Cui32 and UBW32 boards and advertising for StickOS, Those are allowed but not Pinguino! Then, I suppose things are not evolving as they expected. As I said on their forum some time ago, they made a huge mistake releasing the hardware before finishing the IDE (maybe the existence of Pinguino project played a role in their bad decision). They thought that the board will be powerful and attractive to most users so, they will start helping to IDE build.

Yes, board is great (if you deliberately forget about 1000 cycles limitation) but for Arduino people is useless if can't be programmed yet in Arduino language. So, I think the majority of the buyers are from Microchip fan base.

And now, they will have to face a wave of new products from Arduino team. One of the advantages of Pinguino is that it didn't attacked the Arduino position and community. Pinguino is specially for Microchip fans (note that I didn't said "exclusively").

Vasi

P.S. From my perspective, it is ok. I'm not such a fan to Arduino language. I can program my board (Chipkit Max32) directly in C language (and other languages).