Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's fight spam!
10-08-2011, 07:07 PM,
Let's fight spam!
Hi,

I found out this forum also suffer from spam registration and post. From my experience working on this forum, ReCAPTCHA helps a lot and it works better than any ordinary Captcha plugins.

However, we still got some 'hardworking' human spammers register as users and post annoying messages in the forum. So I keep looking and testing different solutions. Few months ago I found a good one which really shuts the door whenever there's spammer trying to register. It's called Sortables CAPTCHA and I can create custom items for the user to sort.

The trick is to create items that can be sort easily through common sense by the ppl of your kind, but not the spammers. Registration proceeds once he got it right. You can have a try at Cytron's forum. It should appear at the registration page. However, since we're using phpBB, I wonder if MyBB has this plugin. Hopefully there is similar one available.

Eg: User will have to sort PIC and Python-based to Pinguino and AVR and Wiring-based to Arduino as below.
[Image: j--OwxZEJpatyWi0DbmIVIHB7We4H7WsaI_IOJMd...Hn6oo=s512]

Just an experience sharing...

Regards,
Kiate
10-08-2011, 07:54 PM,
RE: Let's fight spam!
Hi kiate,
Thank you for the tip.
I installed ReCaptcha these last days but it was not enough.
Yesterday I added another plugin which combined with ReCaptcha seems to do the job.
To be continued ...
Régis

(10-08-2011, 07:07 PM)kiate Wrote: Hi,

I found out this forum also suffer from spam registration and post. From my experience working on this forum, ReCAPTCHA helps a lot and it works better than any ordinary Captcha plugins.

However, we still got some 'hardworking' human spammers register as users and post annoying messages in the forum. So I keep looking and testing different solutions. Few months ago I found a good one which really shuts the door whenever there's spammer trying to register. It's called Sortables CAPTCHA and I can create custom items for the user to sort.

The trick is to create items that can be sort easily through common sense by the ppl of your kind, but not the spammers. Registration proceeds once he got it right. You can have a try at Cytron's forum. It should appear at the registration page. However, since we're using phpBB, I wonder if MyBB has this plugin. Hopefully there is similar one available.

Eg: User will have to sort PIC and Python-based to Pinguino and AVR and Wiring-based to Arduino as below.
[Image: j--OwxZEJpatyWi0DbmIVIHB7We4H7WsaI_IOJMd...Hn6oo=s512]

Just an experience sharing...

Regards,
Kiate

It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
15-12-2014, 12:22 PM,
RE: Let's fight spam!
dhoom