• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet the PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM,
Meet the PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO
Hi guys,
Olimex made a new great board for us Pinguinoers :
  • PIC32MX440F256H 80 Mhz microcontroller 256KB Flash 32KB RAM
  • microSD card for data logging
  • UEXT connector which allow many existing modules like Ethernet, Wifi, RF, Bluetooth, ZIGBEE, GSM and GPS to be connected
  • two LEDs, two buttons (User and Reset)
  • mini USB connector (such as those used in most cell phones)
  • breadboard-ready, all PIC ports available on 0.1" connectors
[Image: PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO.jpg]
[Image: PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO-2.jpg]
[Image: PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO-3.jpg]
Of course, this board works with Pinguino.
If you are interested in such a board please tell us so we can buy a large number and save your money. The final price should be round 15,- EUR ex. shipping cost.
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM,
RE: Meet the PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO
What are the power requirements? USB powered? 5VDC through CON1?
10-11-2011, 12:17 PM,
Can you explain on "all PIC ports available on 0.1" connectors" ? Can I get access to all Analog Inputs (16) ?

After some first arduino experience with a MEGA, I want to "finalise" my project using a smaller form factor (and why not, more powerful), but the documentation on pinguino is really scarce.

This is really attractive, but I need to know if it fit my needs, and the documentation shows little to nothing. What I'd like :

- 16 ADC in (are they limited on 3V3 ? I need R dividers for 0-10V signals)
- 4 PWM (to make 0-10V with LM324)
- 6 Din (buttons, etc) 6 Dout (relays), or more
- SD for logging activity is great
- Arduino compatible for SW
- 1Wire library compatibility (from PJRC, for Dallas 18B20 chips)
- Serial port (either towards other Arduino-type boards or RS485)
- PID library support (SW)
- I2C library
- RTC (and library)
- Audio out ?
- 24VDC in like most Olimex boards ? (recommendation if not?)
- USB power ?

But maybe the consumption is low enough ? Couldn't find it. I have 5.1V, 13V and 24VDC available, but not sure on usable current. Using 2 boards (or a shift register) could be an option as well.

10-11-2011, 01:23 PM,
I looked at the schematic, and I think I may have an answer to some questions, so I'll share (my understanding of) what the micro can do (or not)

First, it looks like USB power is OK. Not sure what a LM3526M is, but it looks like it's some switch to 5V, and the PIC32 has built-in USB, with some pins having specific functions
(such as "VBUSON" on pin 11 connected on transistor), so I guess USB power is handled inside the chip.

Second, there are some GND-5V pairs on the connectors. Apparently you should use CON1-19 & 20 to power the board (written '5VDC!!!' solder side). Likely the other pairs (CON2-19 & 20 for 5V and 17 & 18 for 3V3) are outputs.

So there goes my wanted 24V input. It's not there.

The 16 ADC pins stated in the chip spec also likely aren't there, because the schema shows AN0-AN15 on the chip symbol (top right) shared with some other functions. So I guess there are only about 10 ADC usable on CON2-7 to 16. Maybe also CON1-16 (if no AREF is needed). <digression> Note that on the "other" PIC32 Pinguino (compatible with Arduino shields), there are only 6 AD usable (A0-A5), and A4-A5 are shared with SDA/SCL : 2 chip pins are connected together (thru a small 33R resistor to avoid damages). FYI the unequipped "CON3" SMD includes additionally 10DIOs, 3Ains, and several power connections. </digression>

SDA/SCL is on chip pins 43-44, and UEXT 5-6. Not on CON1 or CON2.
Same for TXD/RXD and CLK/SS/MISO/MISO (the latter interface is also used for SD, but no worries, there are two separate "selection" pins).

CON1-1 to CON1-10 apparently are DIOs. Not sure if PWM is there. The chip spec says there are 5 PWM and 5 16-bit digital counters. Not sure how this works as compared to Arduino.
Same for CON2-1 to CON2-6 (part of RD regiqster) and CON1- 11 to CON1-15.

Some special functions share the pins. For example, CON2-4&5 is a serial interface. CON1-14 is "RTCC" (1 sec output?).
There could be others, you should study the data sheet to learn more, as well as what Pinguino environment supports.

I forgot the ICSP connector. contains reset, power/gnd, and 2 pins (that could also support analog inputs BTW).

Hope this helps. Of course everyone is warmly welcom to improve correct the above. But as a conclusion, for 12.95EUR this is a hard to beat proposition !
04-01-2012, 04:05 PM,
Two months later, and ... no activity / response from the admins /active users whatsoever. How sad ...

BTW, I also realise (due to one of the last contrib to the site) that for loading a sketch on Pinguino, you need to press manually both reset and user button in some specific way. Gone the ease of Arduino as well. Sorry Pinguino, I won't join this boat. Just ordered a Nano clone instead. Sad to have to stay with 8-bit Atmel, but it's the only _reliable_ platform today. Still I hope to go ARM Cortex some day in 2012... (STM32, Energy Micro or similar).

My last word here : admin, please react and advocate for Pinguino ... Some people DO read these posts on the forums ...
08-01-2012, 10:14 AM,
Well, this is a news thread, most of us know as much as is stated. And there is no more information from Olimex - no manual on their site either. Sorry you feel disappointed.
08-01-2012, 10:17 AM,
I contacted Olimex and one of their EE should give us answers very soon ...
Régis
(08-01-2012, 10:14 AM)Alfred Wrote: Well, this is a news thread, most of us know as much as is stated. And there is no more information from Olimex - no manual on their site either. Sorry you feel disappointed.

It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
06-03-2012, 12:48 PM,
(08-01-2012, 10:17 AM)regis Wrote: I contacted Olimex and one of their EE should give us answers very soon ...
Régis

No answers from Olimex apparently. I'm still interested in the 32MICRO, but to be honest I'm still a bit scared of leaving the "proven" Arduino world to dive into 32bit (either PIC or ARM).

UPDATE : I got one, will start playing with it this W-E I hope ... First goal : get a test Arduino sketch running on it. Second goal : get it record NI1000 temperatures into uSD card.
22-03-2012, 01:42 PM,
Hi,
can someone tell me how to record data on the µSD slot?
In my project i have to log gps and data of 3 sensors and save them on the µSD card.
thanks and by, Tim
22-03-2012, 01:48 PM,
Hey there, excuse me for the real late response but I couldn't create account to the forums for some time. Thought it might be from our network security (it was the bot spam attack)! The manual has been available for some time on the web site. If you notice some problems with it or you don't like something in it feel free to give me some feedback at support@olimex.com. It would be nice if you mark it as e-mail for Lub or something. You could post here too but I can't promise that I will follow the forum closely. However, all mail sent to support gets read.

Additionally if you have any hardware question about any of our Pinguino boards feel free to ask.