Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32 bit - Starting up the IDE
05-12-2011, 04:56 AM,
32 bit - Starting up the IDE
For those of you setting up the development side of 32-bit Pinguino please read this post.

The links for the 32-bit IDE and compilers plus associated necessary add-ons (that are listed on the pinguino.cc site) are not going to get you up and running.
The Python installs are good - evidently. The IDE and compiler downloads for the 32-bit platform(s) are not.
After installing the multitude of files for the "compatible" IDE and compiler I could not launch the IDE (for the 32-bit only). A total waste of time and storage.
After searching the web I came upon this link on the forum:
http://code.google.com/p/pinguino32/downloads/list
Without this you won't get off the ground with the 32-bit hardware.

Sorry for this news. The pinguino.cc site should have this already updated. They - do not!

Cheers!
05-12-2011, 03:43 PM,
RE: 32 bit - Starting up the IDE
1/ the linux version works
2/ we have had some problems with the windows version, it's almost fixed
3/ I fixed the problem on pinguino.cc
4/ you know, we're all volunteers with our own jobs but we try to do our best, don't be too bad with us ;-)

(05-12-2011, 04:56 AM)BillE Wrote: For those of you setting up the development side of 32-bit Pinguino please read this post.

The links for the 32-bit IDE and compilers plus associated necessary add-ons (that are listed on the pinguino.cc site) are not going to get you up and running.
The Python installs are good - evidently. The IDE and compiler downloads for the 32-bit platform(s) are not.
After installing the multitude of files for the "compatible" IDE and compiler I could not launch the IDE (for the 32-bit only). A total waste of time and storage.
After searching the web I came upon this link on the forum:
http://code.google.com/p/pinguino32/downloads/list
Without this you won't get off the ground with the 32-bit hardware.

Sorry for this news. The pinguino.cc site should have this already updated. They - do not!

Cheers!

It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
18-12-2011, 11:52 PM,
I tweaked the main Wiki page for readability, maybe this will help... I also put the address to the Google Code page - that helped me a lot too.

BTW, maybe the pinguino.cc page should point to the Wiki for Downloads? It's easier to maintain I think (because almost anyone can update links).
19-12-2011, 03:26 PM,
Done.

(18-12-2011, 11:52 PM)Alfred Wrote: I tweaked the main Wiki page for readability, maybe this will help... I also put the address to the Google Code page - that helped me a lot too.

BTW, maybe the pinguino.cc page should point to the Wiki for Downloads? It's easier to maintain I think (because almost anyone can update links).

It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
28-12-2011, 02:35 AM,
Regis,
I sincerely did not mean to sound hard on you or any of the Pinguino volunteers. My apologies!!
I just got back on the forum and read your reply. I was a bit late: like 3 weeks!!! My bad.
First, I admire all the work you and the Pinguino volunteers are doing. Second, I am an EE and not well versed in the "structure" of all the software requirements, especially all of the files to download and install. I'll forever be a noob at that!

I do, however, have a troubleshooting question.
When I compile (works fine) then "Upload to Pinguino" the Pinguino (32-bit Olimex version) LEDs stop flashing and then the message box hangs on "Resetting device". Any suggestions?
I have the utmost confidence that the problem is not with the IDE/compiler software but with my install of the 32-bit package. Could it possibly be the bootloader on the PIC32 Pingduino?

Thanks Regis & all.
I promise to check back sooner this time ;P
28-12-2011, 10:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-12-2011, 10:58 AM by pingotg.)
If you can still reset the board and get it to go into the bootloader, that strongly suggests all is OK. The bootloader is stored in a separate part of the PIC32 flash ROM and won't easily be overwritten. So, don't worry about that issue.

When you're sending a new program across to a board (Upload to pinguino or whatever it's called), I think you would get an error if it wasn't proceeding OK.

The "Resetting the device" is almost the same as if you press the board's reset button. So, does the pinguino32 board behave the same when you reset it (but don't go into the bootloader) as when you get that message?

If it does, you "just" need to debug the program LOL

If it's one of the samples, er...... probably "we" need to debug it! (But, for now try another.)

John
28-12-2011, 05:39 PM,
Thanks John.
I did use the two blink examples and re-assigned the pin numbers. Still no luck. After reading the post entitled: "Windows7 cant detect PIC32 Pinguino-OTG board" in the troubleshooting section I got to wondering if I am reading the the pin map incorrectly.
I am not that familiar with the Arduino language and the concept of mapping processor pins to different "fixed" names. That is probably where I am going wrong. I usually program in C (CCS PICC) which is similar to the Arduino language but uses the structure "pin_a7", etc.
I used the schematic at :
http://pinguino.cc/download/doc/Mapping/P32 minimum IO mapping.png
for the pin assignments. I assume that the "Pin XX" is the number that is used in the program?
Thanks for all your help. I will keep plugging away at this and we will eventually prevail!!

Bill
28-12-2011, 06:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-12-2011, 06:16 PM by pingotg.)
I find the schematic easier (same location and I have the rev C board).

You can just use C but suppose we work through the pseudo-Arduino language as it goes via C files.

The source code is provided - benefit of open source Smile

Under where you installed the IDE look for digitalw.c (under a p32 folder so you find the 32-bit version)

Separately, the IDE pre-processes your file and creates user.c, which is called from main32.c
Looks like it's in the source folder. It's worth knowing that a file called stdout also gets created in there when you compile. Have a look at it and also at user.c and main32.c

So, a .pde file is a sort of simplified .c in this IDE.

The file digitalw.c maps the pin numbers used in the .pde into the ports of the PIC32 chip and the bits within those ports. I find the Olimex schematic and the Microchip PIC32MX manuals get me the rest of the way.

I think the blink sample worked out of the box (nearly - I had an early version where toggle was Toggle, and as you know case matters in C).

edit: ignore the stuff about Toggle - different example!

If you wish, post the pin you're using and I'll have a go at working through the files. Looks like my example has digitalWrite(13, ...) and is OK for my PIC32 pinguino board.

John
28-12-2011, 06:20 PM,
Hello Bill!

You are right, the pins are completely different. You wrote you are using a 32-bit Pingiuno, is it one of the Olimex boards, or is it selfmade? On the Olimex silkscreens all the pins are labeled, and you can use the symbols exactly like you see:
  • D0-D13 (digital pins)
    A0-A7 (analog pins)
If you programmed in C previously I think you will have no problem using even the undocumented features. All the sources are in the 'p32/include' directory. For pin definitions take a look at 'p32/include/pinguino/core/const.h'. Good luck, and I hope this solves your problem!
29-12-2011, 03:30 AM,
Thanks John & Alfred!
I went back & made sure the pin I used for the Olimex Pinguino OTG (which I have - really awesome hardware for the cost!) for the GREEN LED was set right - it was not. I had it to pin 8. Changing it back to 13 allowed me to see the green LED do what the program was supposed to, that is blink on and off. Eureka!!
Looking at the digitalw.c and the const.h files made my head spin! They look very complicated and intertwined. It would be very nice if there was a simple table or list that mapped chip_pin to code_pin. What concerns me now is when I want to manipulate the other tid-bits (Olimex UEXT, etc) that it will take too much effort to drill-down into those mappings.
Like you all, I have a full time job and when I get home I am rather exhausted/tired and have limited "mental" resources. So please bear with me. You have been very gracious and patient with me. I sure look forward to the weekends!
Again, thank you for the help so far. It has been helpful and accurate.

Bill