Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32 bit - Starting up the IDE
29-12-2011, 10:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011, 10:35 AM by pingotg.)
RE: 32 bit - Starting up the IDE
I think it depends why you bought the board and where you look.

If you bought it to write C and (at least mostly) ignore Arduino then you wouldn't use the IDE and your questions would not arise. You'd use just the schematic, a C compiler (or I suppose ASM), and quite likely either Microchip's MPLAB or a GNU PIC32 toolchain. You wouldn't be using files such as digitalw.c (These guys probably think of it as a PIC32 board with a funny name.)

Using the Arduino-alike system they're calling Pinguino, you'd more naturally use the IDE and the various files found on http://www.pinguino.cc (These guys probably think of it as an Arduino board with a funny name.)

On that site you'll find various files (such as an extended schematic - you'd probably not even initially realise it IS extended but have a look at its top right) and those files show such things as LED1 being D13. You can tell immediately to use digitalWrite(13, ...)

Some such similar explanation might perhaps usefully be put into the documentation if it's not there already.

In a way, it's quite logical and clever but maybe they didn't explain it well. (It's hard making this stuff, hard writing documentation, and English isn't even everyone's/anyone's first language!)

John
30-12-2011, 04:15 AM,
You guys are awesome.
I did some grunt work on the schematic and the .c & .h files and eventually got the pin mapping worked out.
The only problem is with RF2 (Arduino pin 30). No big deal. All the other assignments are clear. The const.h and digitalw.c were a BIG help.
You were correct that it is intuitive and straightforward. My problem was that I am coming from the 8-bit world and was not familiar with the 32-bit PICs.

As for your english, I had NO problem with following you and understanding exactly what you were saying. Excellent, good job.

Again, thanks for all your help!
Hopefully I will post some of the projects using the 32-bit Pinguino.
Keep up the excellent work, Please!!

Bill
30-12-2011, 10:59 AM,
Oooh, tell me about RF2 please!

Er, I meant Tsvetan, regis, J-P et al. I'm English so mine's supposed to be OK Smile

Wait till you've slogged through the PIC32 Family Reference, then you'll see it's a new world from the 8-bit - though I suppose having 512K flash & 128K RAM on-chip for some of the devices already says plenty.

John
30-12-2011, 12:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-12-2011, 12:45 PM by mf01.)
(30-12-2011, 04:15 AM)BillE Wrote: You guys are awesome.
I did some grunt work on the schematic and the .c & .h files and eventually got the pin mapping worked out.
The only problem is with RF2 (Arduino pin 30). No big deal. All the other assignments are clear. The const.h and digitalw.c were a BIG help.
You were correct that it is intuitive and straightforward. My problem was that I am coming from the 8-bit world and was not familiar with the 32-bit PICs.

Bill,

I assume that by "The only problem is with RF2 (Arduino pin 30)." you mean that the Port/Register RF2 is not shown on the Olimex schematic for PIC32-MX440F256H as it does not have an output pin labelled RF2. This was flagged to the development team and they changed digitalw.c for the P32 in development release r240 so that "pin 30" is now assigned to Port/Register RD1 which is connected to LED2, the yellow LED. The definition of LED2 in const.h for PIC32-Pinguino boards was added in development release r233 to use "pin 30". The latest development release full package for Windows, Pinguino32X_r240_setup.exe can be found at code.google.com/p/pinguino32 which should include the updated const.h and digitalw.c. I only say should as I use linux and so have not downloaded or tried the Windows version myself.

Alternatively you can download the individual files digtalw.c and const.h from code.google.com/p/pinguino code.google.com/p/pinguino (open >trunk >p32 >include >pinguino >core under Directories on the left hand side of the screen if it is not already open)
and replace the existing files in //P32/include/pinguino/core or //P32/include/pinguino/basics if you are using a version based on a development release earlier than r212 when the name of this folder was changed from "basics" to "core".

Further details can be found in this thread How to control LED2 on PIC32 Pinguino-OTG?

Regards

Mark
Bill

further to my post above, it sounds like you have done some similar "grunt work" to what I did a couple of weeks ago. When I did it I prepared a table trying to correlate all the "relevant" information for the PIC32 Pinguino OTG with a view to posting it on the Pinguino wiki as a reference for other users. I have been holding off doing that as I would like someone else to check it and comment on the information and format. If you could either email or pm me using the buttons at the bottom of this post I can email you the file to review and comment. Also please let me know what format you would like the file in. It is currently on MS Excel 2003 but I can convert it to another format if you would find that easier.

Regards

Mark
Board = PIC32-Pinguino-OTG Rev C
OS = Linux Unbuntu 11.10 till 26 Apr 2012
OS = Linux Unbuntu 12:04 from 27 Apr 2012
30-12-2011, 03:35 PM,
Bill - Aha, RF2 looks to be USB VBUS for the PIC32-Pinguino (pin 34 on CPU)

Mark - MS ... what??? Open/LibreOffice anyone?

(small joke)

I'd like to take a look as I also made something but stopped short of making a spreadsheet.

John
31-12-2011, 02:39 AM,
This has turned into a very nice informative thread on the hardware assignments on the PIC32-OTG! Lots of useful information and links.
Mark, I went to the links you provided (FYI don't use microsoft IE, as the link doesn't support it!) and had to cut-n-paste the text from the const.h & digitalw.c into my PICC compiler IDE then save the new stuff to the Pinguino\p32\... directory. By the way, how the heck do you download from that code.google.com... location?
Don't get me wrong. I am very thankful that the new .h & .c files did the trick.
For the dev volunteers - the R240 setup install didn't work on my computer. That is, until I did the above mods to the .h & .c files in that directory (pinguino\p32\include\pinguino\core). Now the green & yellow LEDs work fine. And I have to presume the rest will work fine also.
I am sure learning a lot and, especially, how much work the Pinguino team has had to put into this project. Cudos to you all.

Bill
31-12-2011, 11:45 AM,
Bill,

re your query about "how the heck do you download from that code.google.com... location?", please see my post http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?...41#pid3741 in the thread I directed you to earlier.

In essence once you have the individual file listing from code.google.com/p/pinguino32 showing in your browser, there should be a link "View raw file" on the right hand side of the browser window which should allow you to download the updated file by right clicking on the link.

Following up on your comments about the links not working in IE, I have just tried the links both in my posting in this thread and the thread I directed you to earlier and above and they all responded as I would expect, all be it that I used IE 9, running on Windows Vista Home Basic on a lowly netbook. It may just be a quirk of your system.

Also following up on your comments about the r240 setup install not working on your computer until you did the mods to the .h and .c files. I have just downloaded the Windows r240 setup onto my lowly netbook (don't worry I had been meaning to install the Pinguino IDE on it for a while) and the files in the Pinguino/p32/include/pinguino/core folder appear to be the correct versions for the r240 release. You may want to check the modification date of the file rtcc.c in the folder you put the updated digitalw.c and const.h files in. It should be 22 Dec 2011 (or it is on my system after installing r240 today) which is consistent with the release of the r240 windows installer on 24 Dec 2011. If the date is earlier it may be that you are still running an earlier version. I do recall from another thread that the r240 installer does not give you the choice of install location. I found that it installed on the top level of my C: drive in a new folder C:/Pinguino which may not be where the earlier version was installed on your computer. The correct Pinguino.exe file is in this folder together with the rest of the updated environment. It might be worth checking that you are not still inadvertently running the earlier version which may have been installed elsewhere on your computer. Also when I run the r240 version the Pinguino window is labelled "Pinguino IDE x.2 rev. unknown". Just to confirm that the install was OK, I opened, compiled and uploaded the example Blink.pde which ran OK on a PIC32 Pinguino OTG board flashing the green LED (LED1). I then changed 13 to LED2 throughout the program, recompiled and uploaded the modified version which also ran OK flashing the yellow LED (LED2). The inclusion of LED2 was one of the other changes included since the previous windows full installer. This was without doing ANY changes to the digitalw.c and const.h files included in the r240 release.

Regards

Mark
Board = PIC32-Pinguino-OTG Rev C
OS = Linux Unbuntu 11.10 till 26 Apr 2012
OS = Linux Unbuntu 12:04 from 27 Apr 2012
31-12-2011, 08:19 PM,
Thanks Mark.

1. Got the downloads figured out.

2. Internet Explorer, my version is IE8. My development a desktop running the latest XP so I can't even install IE 9. I didn't realize that it was only for W7 & Vista. So, IE 8 isn't supported by the code source web page as indicated at the top of the page. Firefox works great however.

3. I completely removed ALL of the P32 installed files and started from scratch. All is good now. I guess there was just too much clutter!!

Again, thanks a million Mark!

Bill