Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinguino 32 bit easy DoItYourself ?
14-12-2011, 04:30 PM,
Pinguino 32 bit easy DoItYourself ?
Dear all,
just bought a pic32MX220F I/SP, which is basically a PIC32 with usb and 32K memory, which is as good as any PIC18f2550 pinguino, but with 32bits operation Smile
This one is DIP with 28 pins, which makes the board as easy to build as the pic 18f2550.
don't know if we can programm it with basic jdm programmers or more evolved pickit2, but anyway this would make a very nice, minimalistic 32 bit powered stick isnt'it?
Would it be possible to have a bootloader working with this device and also check if the current pinguino soft and libs are useable on it?
14-12-2011, 08:39 PM,
RE: Pinguino 32 bit easy DoItYourself ?
Hi Joel

I'm just working a new design with PIC32MX DIP version. I received some 32MX250F128 and I think we should have a working card before Christmas. I plan to recompile the bootloader as soon as I made the drawing of this card.

JP

(14-12-2011, 04:30 PM)joel Wrote: Dear all,
just bought a pic32MX220F I/SP, which is basically a PIC32 with usb and 32K memory, which is as good as any PIC18f2550 pinguino, but with 32bits operation Smile
This one is DIP with 28 pins, which makes the board as easy to build as the pic 18f2550.
don't know if we can programm it with basic jdm programmers or more evolved pickit2, but anyway this would make a very nice, minimalistic 32 bit powered stick isnt'it?
Would it be possible to have a bootloader working with this device and also check if the current pinguino soft and libs are useable on it?

14-12-2011, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-12-2011, 09:56 PM by joel.)
Hi Jean Pierre.

Nice...i'm impatient to see it !! Cool
The "big" question i have so far is: how to download the bootloader firmware into this pic....which looks like being not supported by any "cheap" programmer we can find on the web (jdm, pickit2/3 clone, etc). but perhaps you have an idea :-) (like using a pinguino as programmer,like the "replicator" published on your blog)
Looking forward to hearing you soon about that !!
Just a side note: i was looking at this microcontroller, because i am currently looking at using "pinguino like" hardware to drive a telescope, and was doubtful about the capacity of an 8bit µcontroller like the 18f2550 to do the required math with enough precision and speed(e.g. with sinus operation down to 0,1 arcsec, but maybe i am wrong, just need to test, anyway 32bits operation will be a bonus)...
15-12-2011, 12:20 AM,
Hi, just a off-topic comment...

(14-12-2011, 09:50 PM)joel Wrote: ...i was looking at this microcontroller, because i am currently looking at using "pinguino like" hardware to drive a telescope, ...

I is a nice idea to have something like that (maybe with some features like Google Sky)...

Perhaps you can even sell kits, so others can try the same, in the future...

I think it is a cool idea...

Regards,
Valter
15-12-2011, 09:52 AM,
The possibility of making a 32-bit board at home (as the 8-bit board right now) will give the pinguino community a great advantage! I'm for good making (at least) one of those! Thank you Jean Pierre!

BTW, joel, that's a cool project!

Sorry I've gone offtopic, I just had to say it Blush