Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Wiki Admin/What is his contact
23-02-2012, 06:46 PM,
Who is the Wiki Admin/What is his contact
Hi - I am trying to structure the documentation in the Wiki, to then attempt at filling in the (many) blanks in function/library documentation.

To help in navigating available information in a more "digestible" way, I created a Libraries category and am creating pages for each library (which IMHO is easier to grasp than ~200 functions on one screen).

However I can't get the libraries page to appear in the Navigation pane, and I assume admin privileges are required for this. Caveat is, I don't know WHO the wiki admin is or HOW to contact him/her/them.

Any help from the community here?

Thanks,

Augusto
23-02-2012, 07:01 PM,
RE: Who is the Wiki Admin/What is his contact
Hi Augusto,

you could try sending a pm (in this forum) to either Regis or J-P Mandon. If it is not either of them, they will know who it is.

Regards

Mark

PS - I had been thinking about the exercise you are currently undertaking - one suggestion is to use a "category" for each library so that as additional functions are added they will then "appear" automatically on the corresponding "library" page - just an idea.
Board = PIC32-Pinguino-OTG Rev C
OS = Linux Unbuntu 11.10 till 26 Apr 2012
OS = Linux Unbuntu 12:04 from 27 Apr 2012
23-02-2012, 08:03 PM,
Mark,

Thanks. Will contact them

As to your suggestion, coincidentally that is what I have done - every library is categorized as "Libraries" and whatever the Library name is (I2C, Serial, RTCC, etc...). Feel free to jump in!

Better documentation=More users. And more users means more common code means making life easier for all of us!

But this is the easy part. Hard part "episode 1" is actually documenting the functions, which I guess will have to be via code inspection, and writing sensible examples for each (at least those I can test...)

Anyway, "The journey of 1000 miles begins with a simple step"

Augusto

(23-02-2012, 07:01 PM)mf01 Wrote: Hi Augusto,

you could try sending a pm (in this forum) to either Regis or J-P Mandon. If it is not either of them, they will know who it is.

Regards

Mark

PS - I had been thinking about the exercise you are currently undertaking - one suggestion is to use a "category" for each library so that as additional functions are added they will then "appear" automatically on the corresponding "library" page - just an idea.

23-02-2012, 09:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012, 10:13 PM by mf01.)
Hi Augusto,

I don't think that I have managed to explain properly - although you have categorised the various libraries as "Libraries" you have not created a page for "Category:Libraries". If you do then when you include [[Category:Libraries]] on a page then it will automatically be included on the "Category:Libraries" page. It looks like your Libraries page has each of the libraries added manually.

For an example of this sort of use of a category see the "Functions" page.

Alternatively type "Category:Libraries" (without the quotes) in the search box and click on Go. If you are logged in it will take you to the Category:Libraries page and give you the opportunity to edit it.

If you do this then your existing "Libraries" page will become surplus to requirements, but as soon as a new page has [[Category:Libraries]] included on it it will automatically be included in the alphabetical list.

What I was trying to suggest is that each of the functions for say the 1wire library be assigned a category [[Category:Library 1wire]]. The link on the Categories:Libraries page should then link to this. Technically this is a sub-category. I will try to create it for 1wire to see if I can get it to work. It is documented at :-

Wiki Catgories and Sub-categories

Regards

Mark
Augusto,

further to my earlier post above, I have managed to create a sub-category page for Library 1wire. If you type "Category:Libraries" (without the quotes) in the search box and click on Go then you should see not only the various Libraries listed as categories but also Library 1wire listed as a sub-category.

If you follow and agree with what I have done then the existing Libraries page becomes superfluous and will be replaced by a suitably edited Category:Libraries page.

Regards

Mark
24-02-2012, 09:33 AM,
koocotte (Sébastien) is the wiki admin.

(23-02-2012, 07:01 PM)mf01 Wrote: Hi Augusto,

Regards

Mark

It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
24-02-2012, 10:49 AM,
Mark - that was my original idea, but mi MediaWiki-fu was not quite up to par so I ended up doing it by hand.

The way you did it is easier and better, so let's take it down that route.

Should have time tonight to write up the missing libraries- not that it is much work.

I have seen some other libraries/ports flying around the internet which are not documented (e.g. a ModBus port from Venezuela) and I'll bring those in too.

I am hoping to still have some time over the weekend to polish/clean up some pages with "old" information (there was a page still saying that PIC32 boards weren't commercially available...) and then on to actually documenting the libraries.

Lots of work there....

Cheers!

Augusto

(23-02-2012, 09:53 PM)mf01 Wrote: Hi Augusto,

I don't think that I have managed to explain properly - although you have categorised the various libraries as "Libraries" you have not created a page for "Category:Libraries". If you do then when you include [[Category:Libraries]] on a page then it will automatically be included on the "Category:Libraries" page. It looks like your Libraries page has each of the libraries added manually.

For an example of this sort of use of a category see the "Functions" page.

Alternatively type "Category:Libraries" (without the quotes) in the search box and click on Go. If you are logged in it will take you to the Category:Libraries page and give you the opportunity to edit it.

If you do this then your existing "Libraries" page will become surplus to requirements, but as soon as a new page has [[Category:Libraries]] included on it it will automatically be included in the alphabetical list.

What I was trying to suggest is that each of the functions for say the 1wire library be assigned a category [[Category:Library 1wire]]. The link on the Categories:Libraries page should then link to this. Technically this is a sub-category. I will try to create it for 1wire to see if I can get it to work. It is documented at :-

Wiki Catgories and Sub-categories

Regards

Mark
Augusto,

further to my earlier post above, I have managed to create a sub-category page for Library 1wire. If you type "Category:Libraries" (without the quotes) in the search box and click on Go then you should see not only the various Libraries listed as categories but also Library 1wire listed as a sub-category.

If you follow and agree with what I have done then the existing Libraries page becomes superfluous and will be replaced by a suitably edited Category:Libraries page.

Regards

Mark

24-02-2012, 03:26 PM,
Hi Augusto,

I've created the Categories:Libraries page and also done the necessary for the RTCC Library.

I have also removed the [[Category:Libraries]] entry from the existing pages for 1wire, DS18B20 and RTCC so that they are no longer listed on the Category:Libraries page although the rest of the pages remain.

Whilst I was doing the RTCC library I realised that it would probably be better to have the "Functions" subsection (which only has a cross reference to the automatic categories list) before the Compatible Boards/Compatibility subsection. Have a look at the Library RTCC page to see what I mean and let me know if you think this is better.

Also there may be a need to include a "Related Libraries" sub-section. Here I am thinking of the 1wire and DS18B20 libraries where the some of the function within DS18B20 library make use of functions within the 1 wire library.

Finally - do you think it is worth removing the Category:Functions entries from the various library functions to reduce the size of the Functions page. One possibility would be to have a Category:Library Functions (together with an associated page) so that all library functions are grouped together as well as being on their individual library pages.

Regards

Mark
24-02-2012, 05:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-02-2012, 05:42 PM by mf01.)
Hi again Augusto,

Looking at what I have done so far, do you think it would read better if I used sub-category "1wire Library" rather than "Library 1wire"? It will mean some changes to what I have done already but it is probably better to do now than when more Library functions have been documented.

To show what I mean I have created the new sub-category 1wire Library and added the sub-category to the various 1wire function pages so that under Categories:Libraries there are now entries for both "Library 1wire" and "1wire Library". In the end only one of these two will remain - let me know which you think is best and I will change the other such pages accordingly. It will mean that there are some "unused" categories left but I think that this will be a price worth paying for making the wiki easier to follow.

Regards

Mark
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM,
(23-02-2012, 06:46 PM)acmbc68 Wrote: However I can't get the libraries page to appear in the Navigation pane, and I assume admin privileges are required for this. Caveat is, I don't know WHO the wiki admin is or HOW to contact him/her/them.

Any help from the community here?

Sorry for not responding in time. For an unknown reason, my RSS feed was not updated.

(acmbc68 sent me an email and the libraries link have been added some time ago).