Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorial joining Open Source
20-03-2012, 05:01 PM,
RE: Tutorial joining Open Source
Hi Henk,
You need a svn (subversion) client just like Tortoise (Windows) or RapidSVN (Linux).
Try to find a good tutorial because I think svn is not very intuitive for beginners.
It could be a good idea to create a forum for the developers. I would add at least a svn section and
something about how Pinguino works ...

Just one more thing : as X.2 (trunk) is intended to be used as a production version, I would just ask that you commit all your files in X.3 (branches), our experimental version (and future major release).
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
20-03-2012, 07:40 PM,
@regis
So Pinguino is basically just C without the extra Plus?
Until now I wasn't even aware of this history... (I am new to Pinguino, haven't even got hold of any hardware yet).
This sounds a bit disappointing to me, cause I'm all for C++ in the embedded field generally, but well - history and legacies. Confused

Where do I find that discussion you mentioned?

Question is, wether it's possible to write code and libraries in C++ and mix them in.
It could be interesting to find out then, if more direct approaches of mangling C and C++ code might work out... AFAIK gcc can link both nicely (function-wrappers are needed then, where C is calling C++). Still, libraries in C++ would of course be of little use for SDCC...

In fact, the PIC32 is a completely new architecture (or not that new actually) that has nothing in common with the traditional 8bitish PICs. The similarity in names is nothing more than Microchips promo-hype and confusing things. I am really not so sure wether it was a good decision not to keep these separated from the start (as for the toolchains and libraries, IDE don't matter that much) and taking on Pinguino32 from a fresh, gcc-powered C++ environment.

But here I am stealing Henk's thread and surely repeating discussions that are long fought and settled already, so feel free to skip this here and now. Smile

(19-03-2012, 11:47 PM)regis Wrote: Hi Henk,

History (I make it short) :
- Arduino's Language is based on AVR GCC C++.
- Pinguino has been first create for 8-bit PIC MCU's.
- There is no C++ compiler for those chips.
- JP wrote pinguino.py to translate C++ syntax into C (SDCC)
- Now we could use C++ with PIC32MX chips but there are no big advantages and it could be a long task (it's another debate on another thread ...).

How it works ...
Pinguino.py populates all pdl (or pdl32 files). Each line with this format :
C++ Syntax (or Arduino Syntax) C function#include <library>#define WHATEVER
Your .pde program is translated in user.c and all the #define goes in defines.h
main(32).c includes define.h and user.c

Conclusion ...
If you want to add PIC32-MICRO support to Pinguino, then I think you don't have to learn Python. You "just" have to write a library in C and a pdl32 file. Take care that you cannot use Pinguino to write Pinguino's Libraries.

I hope it helps.
Some more details, just ask Wink

20-03-2012, 07:56 PM,
C and C++ are both available but read these threads first :
http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?...ht=C%2B%2B
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
21-03-2012, 02:15 AM,
@regis Thanks, I'll read dig through that!
21-03-2012, 11:35 PM,
Hi everybody,

Suddenly I succeeded entering the development group.
So I have written a tutorial joining as a commiter to our group.
See the attachment.

(20-03-2012, 07:56 PM)regis Wrote: C and C++ are both available but read these threads first :

Attached Files
.doc   Joining the open source community of pinguino.doc (Size: 34.5 KB / Downloads: 14)