Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
28 pin DIP 32MX Chip
12-04-2012, 09:31 PM,
RE: 28 pin DIP 32MX Chip
Did you try installing Microchip's tools and using the above files?

If that puts you off, it probably means you'd be wise to leave it LOL

John
24-05-2012, 07:48 PM,
(08-04-2012, 08:06 PM)balaji Wrote: btw, any idea, programming pic32 with pickit2?

I am presently trying this utility...
http://sites.google.com/site/pk2devicefileeditor/

Any news for the Pic32MX250 ??
I have tried myself to edit the PK2DeviceFile.dat with this utility, and it looks like it is possible to add devices.
So i have added this nice Pdip chip to the list, with the parameters from the pic32 device programming spec, but with some lack of information on some parameters (actualy the rowsize and page size are different between the listed/suppported pic32 device and the pic32Mx250) and i am unsure of the parameter to be changed (to me it is ProMemWrWords, but unsure).
I am unable to do the test for the moment, i am waiting for my cheap pickit2 3.3V compatible clone. I can send my modified file if you want !
Joël
24-05-2012, 08:20 PM,
(24-05-2012, 07:48 PM)joel Wrote: I am unable to do the test for the moment, i am waiting for my cheap pickit2 3.3V compatible clone. I can send my modified file if you want !
Joël

Please send me the file, I will try this in the weekend and let you know, whether it works.
24-05-2012, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012, 09:39 PM by joel.)

.zip   PK2DeviceFile.zip (Size: 23.14 KB / Downloads: 17)
(24-05-2012, 08:20 PM)balaji Wrote:
(24-05-2012, 07:48 PM)joel Wrote: I am unable to do the test for the moment, i am waiting for my cheap pickit2 3.3V compatible clone. I can send my modified file if you want !
Joël

Please send me the file, I will try this in the weekend and let you know, whether it works.

HEre it is ;-)

Good luck ;-)
Joël
24-05-2012, 10:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012, 11:04 PM by joel.)
Balaji,
i have verified the file and some infos, mainly because i was not satisfied with the boot area size (should be 3K instead of 12K) and because of the writing scripst which were writing 64 words at a time (while the row size of our device is 32 words..)
i managed (well i hope) to rewrite the scripts (numbers 248 and 249) so that it write only 32 words (but i dunnno if it should be 16 words)... please try this second file if the first is not working... (new scripts umber 294 and 295)

.zip   PK2DeviceFile (2).zip (Size: 23.15 KB / Downloads: 25)
or this third one if it is still not ok (writing size is 16 words), scripts 296 and 297)

.zip   PK2DeviceFile_rev2.zip (Size: 23.19 KB / Downloads: 43)

(change its name acordingly)

EDIT: Actually, in the programming specification, the "smallest size" downloaded to the pic looks like to be 32 words...
26-05-2012, 12:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-05-2012, 12:49 PM by iyahdub.)
Bless everyone.
You will have to apologize if any of my questions might sound absurd at any point, but he who does not know is like he whom doesnt see...
OK, i managed to buy a promotional Microstick II DM330013-2 for a couple of quid (£ 2.91 if i remember well) .
As i been intending to start using the Pinguino for a while, i thought i could use the PIC32MX250F128 to start my development and experiments, learning curve with Pinguino...Specially as the last dev Board DIY uses this same chip.
So, my idea and question is this :
1st-Do you think i can use the development board itself, and use it to burn the bootloader ??
2nd-Do i even need the Pinguino Bootloader in this case ?!? ( I will guess i do, in this case ?!? Am i right ?!)
3rd- Whatever the answers are, as ill have the chip at least, can you "guide" me into the next steps so i can at least, whatever way it might be, create my AWESOME PINGUINO ?!? PLEASE ?!? lol
Thanks a lot in advance !!
26-05-2012, 07:38 PM,
Hi iyahdub

(26-05-2012, 12:48 PM)iyahdub Wrote: Bless everyone.
You will have to apologize if any of my questions might sound absurd at any point, but he who does not know is like he whom doesnt see...

No problem with the questions, even if they sound absurd. ( everybody need to start !! )

(26-05-2012, 12:48 PM)iyahdub Wrote: OK, i managed to buy a promotional Microstick II DM330013-2 for a couple of quid (£ 2.91 if i remember well) .
As i been intending to start using the Pinguino for a while, i thought i could use the PIC32MX250F128 to start my development and experiments, learning curve with Pinguino...Specially as the last dev Board DIY uses this same chip.

Microstick can be used with a low cost PIC32 so no problem to use it with Pinguino.

(26-05-2012, 12:48 PM)iyahdub Wrote: So, my idea and question is this :
1st-Do you think i can use the development board itself, and use it to burn the bootloader ??

I don't understand your question. Do you want to burn a blank chip with Pinguino bootloader using your Microstick as a programmer ? or do you want to burn the Pinguino bootloader in your Microstick ?

(26-05-2012, 12:48 PM)iyahdub Wrote: 2nd-Do i even need the Pinguino Bootloader in this case ?!? ( I will guess i do, in this case ?!? Am i right ?!)

Unfortunately, I don't have a Microstick here. So I don't know if this board is used with a bootloader or if it is used with a PicKit3.

(26-05-2012, 12:48 PM)iyahdub Wrote: 3rd- Whatever the answers are, as ill have the chip at least, can you "guide" me into the next steps so i can at least, whatever way it might be, create my AWESOME PINGUINO ?!? PLEASE ?!? lol
Thanks a lot in advance !!

Please give us more information:
- what is your favorite OS
- do you have some material ( PIC programmer, electronic board etc... )

JP
26-05-2012, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-05-2012, 10:13 PM by iyahdub.)
Thanks for your quick reply.
If possible id actually prefer to transform the microstickII into a Pinguino, if possible of course.
But if you also could guide me just to some guidelines of burning the bootloader on the pic32, better because i will eventually need that, to ease my projects workload ( more fun like lol).

In the case of even being possible of burning the bootloader into the microstickII, would you advise it ?!? ( i dont really want too much hassle, just a workable solution to start shortening my learning curve into the PINGUINO).

Last but not least- Win 7,sometimes
Ubuntu most times

Dont have a pick programmer, but the Microstick II ( the new just released which is the one here in question- see link above) does claim to have a built in programmer and debugger ( Im new to the PIC's to be honest, so thats my assumption from the features list on the Microchip site).

Thanks once again by your willingness in helping me with this mater.
Any links that might help, are appreciated, as i cant really expect you to do it all for me... The board should be here soon, so i have time to read and research meanwhile, using the technical details on the site as reference for any hardware issues i might come across meanwhile

PS- I just noticed now i have a reply from one of your developers and speaker of my natural born language Portuguese at his blog http://www.fazzi.eng.br , so will be DOUBLE EASY now ?!? lol
Having only worked with Arduino Uno and Mega i am a bit at a loss to the Pinguino/PIC world,but always felt inclined to the PICs...Only chose Arduino's Atmel's due to the easier initial curve, always intending to eventually do the jump to PIC. And what beter than PINGUINO for that, aint i right ?!?
Thanks once again !!
Good work everyone !!
28-05-2012, 09:26 PM,
(26-05-2012, 10:06 PM)iyahdub Wrote: Thanks for your quick reply.
If possible id actually prefer to transform the microstickII into a Pinguino, if possible of course.
But if you also could guide me just to some guidelines of burning the bootloader on the pic32, better because i will eventually need that, to ease my projects workload ( more fun like lol).

In the case of even being possible of burning the bootloader into the microstickII, would you advise it ?!? ( i dont really want too much hassle, just a workable solution to start shortening my learning curve into the PINGUINO).

Last but not least- Win 7,sometimes
Ubuntu most times

Dont have a pick programmer, but the Microstick II ( the new just released which is the one here in question- see link above) does claim to have a built in programmer and debugger ( Im new to the PIC's to be honest, so thats my assumption from the features list on the Microchip site).

Thanks once again by your willingness in helping me with this mater.
Any links that might help, are appreciated, as i cant really expect you to do it all for me... The board should be here soon, so i have time to read and research meanwhile, using the technical details on the site as reference for any hardware issues i might come across meanwhile

PS- I just noticed now i have a reply from one of your developers and speaker of my natural born language Portuguese at his blog http://www.fazzi.eng.br , so will be DOUBLE EASY now ?!? lol
Having only worked with Arduino Uno and Mega i am a bit at a loss to the Pinguino/PIC world,but always felt inclined to the PICs...Only chose Arduino's Atmel's due to the easier initial curve, always intending to eventually do the jump to PIC. And what beter than PINGUINO for that, aint i right ?!?
Thanks once again !!
Good work everyone !!

Hi iyahdub
Actually, from what i understand from the microstickII device (was about to buy one ;-) but revised my idea), It is a "cheap" PIC programmer/debugger intended/designed for PIC32 and dsPIC . you have a socket for the programmation of dip devices, and also a connector for ICSP programmation. I'am doubtful that you will be able to burn the HID bootloader into the microstick, since from what i understand, this bootloader is intended to be resident on the IC you want to programm, not on a "remote" chip (in the same order of idea the "firmware" which is in the PIC chip of pickit2 and clone is not as the bootloader used for the PIC18f2550). But i am pretty sure that you can use this microstickII to burn the pinguino32 bootlader into your PIC32 chips (which you can put on this new small board designed by JPmandon and his team or in any system you want, provided that you connect the usb port).
What is nice in pinguino (and arduino too) is this nice form factor that you can "plug" everywhere you want (you just need to think to the things you want to be controlled by the xxxuino, and plug & play, like all those nice shields developed for arduino). One of the main difference between pinguino and arduino being the open source/hardware philosophy.
and that pinguino now have 32 bit...! Smile
29-05-2012, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012, 06:56 AM by iyahdub.)
Im definitely not an expert on PICs, but says quite clearly built in programmer ?!? ( PS-: After writting this i think i understood what you meant... You meant the programmer on board, am i right ?!?)
So if i wanted to use it alone, id only need the Mplab... as far as i can see that is what it says on the instructions.. Plus is a bit different from the Microstick's previous editions in several ways from what i can see. But only someone more knowledgeable on the subject could confirm as im not swearing for that just yet .O nly tomorrow ill have it on my hand( been dispatched and within UK takes no longer than 2 days tops for letters and light packages).
One of the things that scared me off PICs in the past was it always seemed a bit too complicated to embark as a starting point.
Arduino thrown down all those walls, and Pinguino now seems to have done the same for pic.
Anyway, i know i can always build the last DIY board for Pinguino i have seen with the PIC 32, which is the same it is coming with the board, and just use the rest of it( board, chips, etc) to try understand at a pace, the way PIC works on its natural terms.
Thats is why i even havent started using the pinguino and loving it so much eh eh eh
Want to thank to all for your help and hints...Tomorow i might start the task at hand and come and pester you properly !! lol