Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PINGUINO32-DIY
17-05-2012, 07:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012, 07:20 PM by psmll1.)
RE: PINGUINO32-DIY
I had 2 PIC32MX250F128B around so give it a try.

Didn't had a 8MHz osc so changed the configs in bootloader to work with internal osc, worked fine.

I tried it with X.3 rev414 simple things like blink work Wink

Things like analog so far no luck Sad
17-05-2012, 09:35 PM,
Hi

Thanks for the report. And congratulations for your config bit !! I didn't success with the internal oscillator. If you can send me the config bits, I will add the new bootloader in the package.

For analog, I am working on the source to make the analog input available. It's not yet finished. As soon as it is ready, I will post something here.

JP

(17-05-2012, 07:20 PM)psmll1 Wrote: I had 2 PIC32MX250F128B around so give it a try.

Didn't had a 8MHz osc so changed the configs in bootloader to work with internal osc, worked fine.

I tried it with X.3 rev414 simple things like blink work Wink

Things like analog so far no luck Sad
17-05-2012, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012, 10:16 PM by psmll1.)
No problem, I just changed the hex file of the bootloader.
Only with config you will not get it working, it need a trick that I use a lot, connect the CLKO to CLOKI, in this case connect pin10 to pin9 Tongue

Just one more question, is the source of bootloaders, or this bootloader open?

(17-05-2012, 09:35 PM)jpmandon Wrote: Hi

Thanks for the report. And congratulations for your config bit !! I didn't success with the internal oscillator. If you can send me the config bits, I will add the new bootloader in the package.

For analog, I am working on the source to make the analog input available. It's not yet finished. As soon as it is ready, I will post something here.

JP

Attached Files
.zip   PIC32MX250F128B_-_HID_Bootloader_IntOsc.hex.zip (Size: 34.26 KB / Downloads: 19)
17-05-2012, 10:42 PM,
Connect CLKO with CLKI :-) I apologize, I didn't test this solution.
It should work without connecting this 2 pins, but I tried a lot of config bit and nothing works.

Of course, the bootloader is open ( as everything in Pinguino ), it"s just a modified version of the Microchip HID bootloader ( the old one not the AN1388 I never made work ).

I am going to test your solution :-) it's a good start

Thanks
JP

(17-05-2012, 10:06 PM)psmll1 Wrote: No problem, I just changed the hex file of the bootloader.
Only with config you will not get it working, it need a trick that I use a lot, connect the CLKO to CLOKI, in this case connect pin10 to pin9 Tongue

Just one more question, is the source of bootloaders, or this bootloader open?

(17-05-2012, 09:35 PM)jpmandon Wrote: Hi

JP
17-05-2012, 11:20 PM,
(17-05-2012, 10:42 PM)jpmandon Wrote: Connect CLKO with CLKI :-) I apologize, I didn't test this solution.
It should work without connecting this 2 pins, but I tried a lot of config bit and nothing works.

Microchip is clear in the datasheet, and you can also easily see in oscillator diagram that to clock USB you can only do by External Clock.

For the internal oscillator exist only a way to give 8MHz directly to USB, but USB to work you need 48MHz, microchip says that this intOSC 8MHz to USB are only to detect USB activity.

Quote:6.3.4
USB Clock (USBCLK) Generation
The USBCLK can be derived from the 8 MHz internal FRC Oscillator, 48 MHz POSC, or the
96 MHz PLL from the POSC. For normal operation, the USB module requires exact 48 MHz
clock. When using 96 MHz PLL, the output is internally divided to obtain 48 MHz clock. The
FRC clock source is used to detect USB activity and bring USB module out of Suspend mode.
Once USB module is out of Suspend mode, it must use a 48 MHz clock to perform the USB
transactions. The internal FRC Oscillator is not used for normal USB module operation.

Also note that internal oscillator accuracy don't comply with USB Full Speed Specification, so my trick can be used only for fun, not to serious jobs Wink

(17-05-2012, 10:42 PM)jpmandon Wrote: Of course, the bootloader is open ( as everything in Pinguino ), it"s just a modified version of the Microchip HID bootloader ( the old one not the AN1388 I never made work ).

By the VID and PID I know that is based on microchip HID bootloader, I played with it several times.

Good to know that is all open, the problem is that I can't find a location to download the code Undecided I must be looking in the wrong places.
18-05-2012, 02:43 PM,
Hi
(17-05-2012, 11:20 PM)psmll1 Wrote:
(17-05-2012, 10:42 PM)jpmandon Wrote: Connect CLKO with CLKI :-) I apologize, I didn't test this solution.

Microchip is clear in the datasheet, and you can also easily see in oscillator diagram that to clock USB you can only do by External Clock.

For the internal oscillator exist only a way to give 8MHz directly to USB, but USB to work you need 48MHz, microchip says that this intOSC 8MHz to USB are only to detect USB activity.

Yes you are right, I opened again the USB Microchip datasheet and it's clear !!

Quote:6.3.4
USB Clock (USBCLK) Generation
The USBCLK can be derived from the 8 MHz internal FRC Oscillator, 48 MHz POSC, or the
96 MHz PLL from the POSC. For normal operation, the USB module requires exact 48 MHz
clock. When using 96 MHz PLL, the output is internally divided to obtain 48 MHz clock. The
FRC clock source is used to detect USB activity and bring USB module out of Suspend mode.
Once USB module is out of Suspend mode, it must use a 48 MHz clock to perform the USB
transactions. The internal FRC Oscillator is not used for normal USB module operation.

That's it.

Also note that internal oscillator accuracy don't comply with USB Full Speed Specification, so my trick can be used only for fun, not to serious jobs Wink

On MX2XX, the internal oscillator comply with USB specifications for low speed. Not on MX3XX and MX4XX.

(17-05-2012, 10:42 PM)jpmandon Wrote: Of course, the bootloader is open ( as everything in Pinguino ), it"s just a modified version of the Microchip HID bootloader ( the old one not the AN1388 I never made work ).

By the VID and PID I know that is based on microchip HID bootloader, I played with it several times.

Good to know that is all open, the problem is that I can't find a location to download the code Undecided I must be looking in the wrong places.

The compressed MPLABX project is joined to this post. Need to clean it but it works as is.
( change JPG to 7z as the forum don't accept this type of file ).
18-05-2012, 03:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-05-2012, 03:31 PM by psmll1.)
(18-05-2012, 02:43 PM)jpmandon Wrote: On MX2XX, the internal oscillator comply with USB specifications for low speed. Not on MX3XX and MX4XX.

Hum, from PIC32MX1XX/2XX datasheet p121:
Quote:The PIC32 USB module includes the following
features:
USB Full-speed support for host and device
Low-speed host support

The PIC in bootloader, so as USB Device only support USB Full Speed, the Low Speed is when you use the OTG feature (PIC as USB Host).

The thing is that all you said is true for example for PIC18F26J50, with it you can use internal oscillator without any tricks, only with config bits, and yes microchip says the internal oscillator is good for USB Low Speed.

Maybe you are confusing it, or maybe it's me Wink

For example I used the internal oscillator of PIC18F26J50 for USB FULL Speed and Low Speed without problem, also used for example the internal oscillator of PIC24FJ64GB002 for USB FULL Speed, all with config bits only.

Only 8bit PICs support USB Low Speed as USB Device, for 16bit and 32bit you only have USB Full Speed.

This is only what I think, of course I may be wrong Smile

(18-05-2012, 02:43 PM)jpmandon Wrote: The compressed MPLABX project is joined to this post. Need to clean it but it works as is.
( change JPG to 7z as the forum don't accept this type of file ).

Thanks
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM,
Great to see this, I would like to try soon Smile
09-08-2012, 05:17 AM,
Can anyone tell me how to configure the IDE to get the .hex file loaded to the board, because I can´t seem to be loading anything on my board, the last massage that I get after hitting the upload buttom is "resetting device" but nothing seems to work, not even the blink.pde file

By the way I´m on Win 7 with IDE 399rev.
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM,
(09-08-2012, 05:17 AM)Alfonso82 Wrote: Can anyone tell me how to configure the IDE to get the .hex file loaded to the board, because I can´t seem to be loading anything on my board, the last massage that I get after hitting the upload buttom is "resetting device" but nothing seems to work, not even the blink.pde file

By the way I´m on Win 7 with IDE 399rev.

Hi Alfonso,

So that sounds like a bad connection to the PIC, there is a guide provided by Microchip that describes how to trouble shoot this issue

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/De...51795A.pdf

Check out chapter 8, and also consider switching the PGED/PGEC ports your using. I ended up having issues with PGED1/PGEC1 and had to use PGED4/PGEC4 - you'll also need to change the associated config bits if you do that.