Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to download the bootloader source code?
15-06-2012, 07:41 AM,
Where to download the bootloader source code?
Hi,

Where can I find the source code for the bootloaders?

I've been trying to figure out where to download the bootloader source for some of the pinguino boards, specifically the generic pic32mx250 diy board; but the other boards would be nice to see as well!

Thanks,

Dave
17-06-2012, 09:12 PM,
RE: Where to download the bootloader source code?
Hi dtyree77,

At http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?tid=3504 at page 2 I also requested the source of bootloader, and I received it by email, try request it directly.

I would send it to you, but:
- I don't even know if was the final version,
- I also believe, that even if they say that it's all open, if they wanted people to get it would be available to download, we wont need to ask for it...

I think that it's strange you need to ask for something if it's open, but maybe it's me, and of course it's not my work so I can't really critic it.

So, just ask for bootloader, I'm sure you will receive it Smile
18-06-2012, 09:01 AM,
Why keep seeing devil everywhere Undecided ?
Pinguino32's bootloader is based on the Microchip USB stack.
Source code is available at : http://www.microchip.com/MLA
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
18-06-2012, 11:27 AM,
Pinguino32 bootloader is based on the Microchip Application Library. If you carefully read the license of this library, you can understand it is not a GPL code but a licensed code which can only be used on Microchip product. So we decided to publish only the hex file to respect this license.
Some Microchip licensed libraries are used in Pinguino and incorporated in the IDE as an object file ( which can only be used on a Microchip processor ).

We ( the Pinguino team ) never published a licensed code except with agreement of his original developer ( even for GPL code ). All the code developed by the team is GPL and published without any restriction. ( 8 bits bootloader based on VASCO bootloader for example is available, idem for the last 26J50 bootloader ).

JP

(17-06-2012, 09:12 PM)psmll1 Wrote: Hi dtyree77,

At http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?tid=3504 at page 2 I also requested the source of bootloader, and I received it by email, try request it directly.

I would send it to you, but:
- I don't even know if was the final version,
- I also believe, that even if they say that it's all open, if they wanted people to get it would be available to download, we wont need to ask for it...

I think that it's strange you need to ask for something if it's open, but maybe it's me, and of course it's not my work so I can't really critic it.

So, just ask for bootloader, I'm sure you will receive it Smile
18-06-2012, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012, 05:59 PM by psmll1.)
(18-06-2012, 09:01 AM)regis Wrote: Why keep seeing devil everywhere Undecided ?
Pinguino32's bootloader is based on the Microchip USB stack.
Source code is available at : http://www.microchip.com/MLA

Hum don't get it, if you saw what I described as pinguino being devil and bad a thing because of the code of bootloaders, well you got it wrong or I didn't expressed myself correctcly.

The key word here is "based", there's a path between based to the final thing.

So why not a simple guide with things like, download that, and modify that to get that?
Why not even a patch file?
That way you didn't have to distribute that mchp USB stack and avoid licences. (I think, licences could be a really "devil" thing)

(18-06-2012, 11:27 AM)jpmandon Wrote: Pinguino32 bootloader is based on the Microchip Application Library. If you carefully read the license of this library, you can understand it is not a GPL code but a licensed code which can only be used on Microchip product. So we decided to publish only the hex file to respect this license.
Some Microchip licensed libraries are used in Pinguino and incorporated in the IDE as an object file ( which can only be used on a Microchip processor ).

I really don't look at mchp licenses for a long time, I remember that for USB stack you couldn't even distribute the files, but you could distribute the files that made use of the stack.

Sure a BIG mess, I will not discuss it.

About the code of the bootloader I didn't read the license but if it is like the others, you can use and modify, you just can't use the code for other products, only for mchp stuff.

Ok I see that you have simple decided to only distribute HEX so you didn't have to worry with any license at all, I'm not against, it's a decision that only you can make, I sure also hate licences like that, that we read and in the end we still don't fully understand it Undecided

(18-06-2012, 11:27 AM)jpmandon Wrote: We ( the Pinguino team ) never published a licensed code except with agreement of his original developer ( even for GPL code ). All the code developed by the team is GPL and published without any restriction. ( 8 bits bootloader based on VASCO bootloader for example is available, idem for the last 26J50 bootloader ).

Again I never tried to say that pinguino are "devil" or something like that, and that you are trying to hide the code.

But again I will try to say it again, maybe expressing myself better:
Something like bootloader in my opinion is a very important part of pinguino, and I really think if you can't or you are not sure if can put out the code, at least should exist a guide to someone follow and recreate the bootloader.

Again, not my work so I respect, again, just my opinion/view.

Just a note: Thanks and keep the good work Smile
18-06-2012, 07:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012, 07:03 PM by pingotg.)
Writing a detailed guide would be perhaps too much work but maybe provide diffs of the files (saying which ones the diffs are for)?

That way anyone can easily recreate the changed source (but only if they fetched the Microchip code) and no proprietary code is given out (or, hardly any, as I suppose a context diff does include a tiny amount).

John
27-06-2012, 03:20 PM,
May I receive the bootloader source code for the PIC18 family.

Please send if zip format.

Thanks

donvukovic@gmail.com
27-06-2012, 08:27 PM,
http://www.pinguino.cc/download/bootload...t/sources/
Régis

(27-06-2012, 03:20 PM)donvukovic Wrote: May I receive the bootloader source code for the PIC18 family.

Please send if zip format.

Thanks

donvukovic@gmail.com
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
28-06-2012, 01:11 PM,
Is this bootloader similar to the PIC32 one? I'm still on the quest for an occurence of IOL1WAY, but there don't seems to be one.

So PPS should be configurable more than once, which it doesn't seem to be, at least for the Pinguino MX220.

Can anyone acknowledge this?

/M
28-06-2012, 05:26 PM,
So given all this, can someone email me the source code for the pic32mx250f128 boot loader?

Send me a PM and I'll send you my email.

Thanks,

Dave