Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PinguinoX.3 IDE vs Microchip MPLAB® X IDE
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM,
PinguinoX.3 IDE vs Microchip MPLAB® X IDE
I had a really hard time installing PinguinoX.3 IDE and, as half of the exemple sketch refuse to get compiled, I guess I'm not finished with it.

Looking around the web, I found that Microchip has developed it's own 'MPLAB® X IDE'.

Could someone tell me what were the reasons to develop Pinguino IDE and not simply using Microchip IDE, what are the PRO's and CON's of each system.

Edouard
09-07-2012, 09:34 AM,
RE: PinguinoX.3 IDE vs Microchip MPLAB® X IDE
Hi Edouard,

As said on the main web page of the Pinguino site, the goal (not yet fully reached) of this project is that <<It [Pinguino IDE] makes you write easily your application without spending hours learning pragma, configuration bits or command line compiler >>.

My opinion :

PRO's :
+ Open Source
+ Open Hardware
+ Easy to use (as said before)
+ Complex applications in few lines of code
+ Powerful IDE
+ Almost compatible with Arduino Syntax

CON's :
- Work in progress (bugs, broken version, ...)
- Small Community
- Lack of documentation
- Lack of developers

Regards,
Régis

(08-07-2012, 08:04 PM)ELOISEAU Wrote: I had a really hard time installing PinguinoX.3 IDE and, as half of the exemple sketch refuse to get compiled, I guess I'm not finished with it.

Looking around the web, I found that Microchip has developed it's own 'MPLAB® X IDE'.

Could someone tell me what were the reasons to develop Pinguino IDE and not simply using Microchip IDE, what are the PRO's and CON's of each system.

Edouard
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
09-07-2012, 11:02 PM,
Thanks for your feedback.

We will push a little more with pinguinoX.3 and see if we manage to deal with/around the bugs.
10-07-2012, 05:11 PM,
Microchip's way tends to make you use a PICkit3 (or the like), too, which not everyone has or wants.

John