Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinguino Micro, SD not working
16-11-2012, 05:26 AM,
Pinguino Micro, SD not working
I can't seem to get my Micro to read anything from my SD card.

Here's what I get after I enabled the debug output:
Code:
Initializing I/Os...
Looking for SD slot... OK
Initializing SD card... Allocating memory... OK
Mounting FAT filesystem... OK
Checking FAT filesystem... Failed!
rc=FR_NOT_READY
mount failed!

The card is a Transcend 2GB MicroSD, nothing fancy. I think I got it out of a phone. It's newly formatted (to FAT obviously) with 1 test file on it and works fine on my PC. I even "safely removed" it after formatting and putting the file on, for the first time in my life Wink

Any ideas?
16-11-2012, 04:45 PM,
RE: Pinguino Micro, SD not working
Well it took me a couple of hours of debugging but I found the problem...
SCDS was defined to 41 instead of 40 in sd/sdmmc.h..... Dodgy

I see that has been fixed for X.4 but I'm using X.3. I hope this helps someone else who's having the same problem.
Stuff like this shouldn't happen, the code can't possibly have been tested on a Micro before releasing it.
16-11-2012, 06:36 PM,
You realise the person who wrote the code probably doesn't even own one of the boards so could not test it?

That's what happens with volunteers who just do their best for free.

Or sometimes they don't even try.

BTW, did you mean SDCS? I could not find SCDS.

John
16-11-2012, 07:14 PM,
I did mean SDCS Wink

If I see stuff like this in the code, I assume that whoever wrote it would have had a Micro and modified the code specifically to work (or not?) with it.
Code:
#ifdef PIC32_PINGUINO_MICRO
    #define SDCS                41    // RB13/MMC_#SS Card Select output
    #define READ_LED            10  // Yellow Led
    #define WRITE_LED            10  // Yellow Led
#endif
That 41 there should be a 40.

I just don't understand how something like this can slip through, it can't possibly have worked on any Micro. It's stuff like this that frustrates the hell out of people, and a frustrated user is a lot more likely to be switching to another platform.
16-11-2012, 08:17 PM,
You should not assume that.

If it gets to you, yes switch.

John
17-11-2012, 05:46 AM,
It doesn't get to me that much, but I'm a lot more stubborn than most people. Just find it unbelievable that this bug was apparently fixed half a year ago and nobody thought of releasing a new stable version... Which really is what ordinary users are downloading.
17-11-2012, 10:14 AM,
There appear to be simply far too few people helping with the code. Those who contribute appear too busy.

That said, I suffered from Microsoft bugs for years and those reasons did not apply to them. Finally they started changing the doc "This is a change by design." - translation: we goofed but we're not going to fix it.

Now I use Linux. Less buggy (and I suppose I could fix it if I needed to).

John
17-11-2012, 02:43 PM,
Hi,
There are 32- but also 8-bit version of Hardware and Software, I think about 10 boards, 3 bootloaders and maybe more than hundred libraries. It's quite a lot of work and hardware bugs are hard to find. Much harder than software bugs which can be found by running regression.sh (for linux users at least - if someone want to make it for Windows ...) just like this :

Quote:./regression.sh --pinguino26j50

or

Quote:./regression.sh --olimex220

You can get all processor options by running :

Quote:./pinguino.py --help
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
17-11-2012, 05:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012, 06:01 PM by mf01.)
Just to note that the particular bug noted by Nico_V was dealt with in r402 for x.3 (trunk).

I did not see what platform Nico_V is using but for most platforms once you have installed pinguino once your can download the latest version of x.3 (trunk) or x.4 using svn checkout which give you all the changes that have been made since the last full release. The instructions for x.4 are on the main page of the pinguino wiki, and for x.3 use http://pinguino32.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/x.3. It is also possible to download individual files from http://code.google.com/p/pinguino32/source/browse/ and replace the corresponding file in your local folder structure to deal with an individual bug fix.
Board = PIC32-Pinguino-OTG Rev C
OS = Linux Unbuntu 11.10 till 26 Apr 2012
OS = Linux Unbuntu 12:04 from 27 Apr 2012
18-11-2012, 12:07 AM,
I am using win32 and the update function in the IDE seems to be broken there in the latest stable download, r399. I just get "Server temporarily unavailable" every time. I don't know if it has been fixed in newer versions of the IDE because I haven't gone through the process of installing all the dependencies yet so I'm stuck with the r399 IDE for now because that runs without having to install additional stuff.

I'm very interested in using specifically the Micro, hence my stubbornness Smile If there's anything I can do to help test or improve otherwise I'll be glad to.