Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Pinguino interfacing
26-11-2012, 11:39 PM,
Help with Pinguino interfacing
I am a geophysicist at the University of Basilicata, Italy. I would love to build a series of monitoring instruments based upon pinguinos.
My instruments, in the most complex configuration, would need:
Pinguino 32 bit, 80 MHz
ethernt connection (some of them) or alternatively (others) GSM/GPRS connection
micro SD card
xbee
GPS on my own board (not the one Olimex is selling)
ADC up to 32 channels (either two ADS1258-EP or four ADS1278) on my own board
Can pinguino support all of these components?
If yes, can you help me selecting all the correct components from Olimex?
Sincerely, Paolo Harabaglia
27-11-2012, 08:34 AM,
RE: Help with Pinguino interfacing
Hi

Wow, which kind of monster is this ADC, never used one so powerful, I add it immediatly to my library.

From electrical point of view there are not problem to interfacing with PINGUINO, SPI is a standard port, the only problem can be the data rate.
The maximum clock rate of ADS1274 is 27MHz too for the poor PIC but if you use a lower frequency there will be no problems

Bye Bye, Moreno
27-11-2012, 11:16 AM,
Thanks for yor remarks.
My problem however is to understand which are tha advantages and disadavantages of the various models of zigbee shields and ethernet shields and finally whether I would need a port multiplier since I need 32 channels + ethernet/gsm + gps + xbee (to communicate with other nodes where internet is not available).
As far as 1271/4/8, are concerned, I still have to work with them. 1251/4/8/8-EP however are fully arduino compatible.
27-11-2012, 01:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-11-2012, 01:53 PM by moreno.)
Hi

Is very hard help you in this choose without a deep knowledge of your needs.

If you do not have problem with power supply, from my point of view, the better solution is use a board like Raspberry PI which is a lot more powerfull than PINGUINO and with an high level support using Linux.

An other possibility is use PINGUINO for the dirty job and interfacing it with a low cost Android smartphone which give you all the network access you need.

Bye Bye, Moreno
27-11-2012, 02:16 PM,
I can't see how rPi is suitable. Or Android smartphone. Network, yes. But good real-time I/O especially of ADC... hmmm.

John
27-11-2012, 06:52 PM,
Hi

(27-11-2012, 02:16 PM)pingotg Wrote: I can't see how rPi is suitable. Or Android smartphone. Network, yes. But good real-time I/O especially of ADC... hmmm.

Easy, both rPi and Android have an USB port which is easly connected with PINGUINO.

Bye Bye, Moreno
27-11-2012, 09:09 PM,
Make your mind up! You said rPi would be a better solution. You didn't say to use it as well.

John
28-11-2012, 08:09 AM,
Hi

Sure but I do not know exactly the features of rPi, may be it have SPI on board, at this point PINGUINO can be avoided.
Mine are free thought withouth knowing the terms of the prioblem.

In any case on a rPi is possible install an hard RTE like Kernel-RT

Bye Bye, Moreno
28-11-2012, 11:39 AM,
this sounds like a real project, not something you will simply assemble from some off the shelf parts. Only the signal-conditioning of the 32 24bit ADC channels is already heavy task, do you have experience in this field? We used the Pinguino32 boards as plugin on custom designed boards ( you could call them a shield as they interface only through the arduino interface) and found them to be very reliable, the UEXT interface from Olimex gives you additional access to their range of communication modules.
I doubt the Pinguino software at this moment is mature enough to deal with all this in an efficient way, you would better find a professional to program this.