Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't upload, boards exits boot mode
10-01-2013, 12:00 AM,
Can't upload, boards exits boot mode
I'm totally new to Pinguino but quite used to Arduino world.

I downloaded Pinguino IDE, compiled the BLINK sketch and attempted the upload after putting Pinguino Pic 32 Micro board in boot mode by pressing the two buttons: leds start blinking as expected, but they suddenly stop during upload: both of them turn off, I hear the "USB unplug sound" coming from PC... and nothing more happens, LED does not start blinking.

Then, board does not even turn on, by pressing the buttons nothing happens, I have to detach USB cbale to get it back working.

IDE output:

Changing board...
Board config: PIC32 Pinguino Micro
USB HID device found: 241664 bytes free
Erasing...
Writing hex file 'c:\PinguinoX.3\examples\01.Basics\Blink\Blink.hex':............................................................................
Resetting device...

What do I miss?

Pinguino IDE says "version unknown" (???)
Using Windows XP SP3.
10-01-2013, 09:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM by pingotg.)
RE: Can't upload, boards exits boot mode
It looks like it is uploading, because:
1. it gets as far as resetting
2. the USB "unplug" sound confirms it's rebooted

But it doesn't run properly.

You might try telling the IDE you have the same board as me (P32 OTG) in case there's a bad bit setting in one of the support files or something. If that fails too, try the non-OTG one. I found some of this kind of thing was needed in the past but haven't tried more recently.

And of course try other examples, though blink is a natural one to try and really should work.

Another thing... maybe there's a problem with the USB power. The reflashing needs a good power supply. So a poor (marginal) cable or weak USB port on the PC could be the cause. Or are you / can you use a 5V supply? (And check voltages if you have a DVOM.)

John
10-01-2013, 10:09 AM,
(10-01-2013, 09:34 AM)pingotg Wrote: It looks like it is uploading, because:
1. it gets as far as resetting
2. the USB "unplug" sound confirms it's rebooted

But it doesn't run properly.

You might try telling the IDE you have the same board as me (P32 OTG) in case there's a bad bit setting in one of the support files or something. If that fails too, try the non-OTG one. I found some of this kind of thing was needed in the past but haven't tried more recently.

And of course try other examples, though blink is a natural one to try and really should work.

Another thing... maybe there's a problem with the USB power. The reflashing needs a good power supply. So a poor (marginal) cable or weak USB port on the PC could be the cause. Or are you / can you use a 5V supply? (And check voltages if you have a DVOM.)

John

I tried all pinguino variants in listbox.
I also connected uSB to PC rather than my USB hub.
I'll try with external power.
what is DVOM?
What should the IDE show after "resetting" if upload is successful?
10-01-2013, 05:05 PM,
DVOM is a multimeter (google for more)

I'm using a different version and Linux so don't know about the IDE question.

John