Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB driver and PIC18F2550 problems
10-01-2013, 10:38 PM,
USB driver and PIC18F2550 problems
Hi

I'm very new to all this microcontrollers.
I've built generic PIC18F2550 Pinguino board with two buttons and flashed bootloader 1.0. I know now this was very old but should work, right ?

I've a problem with driver under windows xp sp3. When I connect my board and it is asking for driver I pointed to the directory where it is located and it seems installed fine but using test tool from libusb package I found that pinguino driver is popping up and vanishing in 1 second period and very frequently it causes BSOD (system crash) later.

One time I was able to run IDe meanwhile and program simple blink code. After reconnecting Usb cable to my board when a jumper is set to run application on boot I saw my led blinking but it was no stable, sometimes it blinks very fast the again with 1 sec delay and then turn off.

What is going on ? could it be related to USB cable length (aprox 1.5-1.8m I think) ?

Sad This journey with Pinguino is not easy
11-01-2013, 01:33 PM,
RE: USB driver and PIC18F2550 problems
(10-01-2013, 10:38 PM)forest Wrote: Hi

I'm very new to all this microcontrollers.
I've built generic PIC18F2550 Pinguino board with two buttons and flashed bootloader 1.0. I know now this was very old but should work, right ?

I've a problem with driver under windows xp sp3. When I connect my board and it is asking for driver I pointed to the directory where it is located and it seems installed fine but using test tool from libusb package I found that pinguino driver is popping up and vanishing in 1 second period and very frequently it causes BSOD (system crash) later.

One time I was able to run IDe meanwhile and program simple blink code. After reconnecting Usb cable to my board when a jumper is set to run application on boot I saw my led blinking but it was no stable, sometimes it blinks very fast the again with 1 sec delay and then turn off.

What is going on ? could it be related to USB cable length (aprox 1.5-1.8m I think) ?

Sad This journey with Pinguino is not easy

I tested with shorter cable and the effect remain. Maybe it's something with my board ...
11-01-2013, 03:08 PM,
Ok, I have found that PIC18F2550 is simply resetting itself, especially if I touch it or even if I'm nearby.

Can anybody suggest what to check to avoid it ? Maybe I should replace 220nf capacitor with some bigger ?

It would be even funny or maybe even useful but not for a such newbie like me Big Grin Self-resetting Pinguino , just add antenna and it can maybe detect a burglar Tongue
12-01-2013, 07:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM by forest.)
Well...I found solution (not sure if I can say that)

on WWW page :
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/que...dboard-use

The problem is that I used hand made ART2003 simple LVP programmer to load bootloader into chip, and because I don't know much about it I probably spoiled configuration bits in PIC.

I think Any help or at least wiki page for newbies would be a BIG help for people who want to start using Pinguino like Arduino Dodgy

What can I do now ? Do I need to reprogram bootloader with HV programmer and disable LVP bit ?

Please, can you extract useful information from this page and put somewhere into Wiki section to help newbies avoid countless hours of deep investigation ? Confused

http://www.piclist.com/techref/microchip...hvprog.htm

This is something unfortunately affecting Pinguino also IMHO
15-01-2013, 12:08 PM,
The config bits of your Pinguino are those used by the bootloader.
All versions come with #pragma config LVP = OFF which disable Low Voltage Programming.
So yes, you will have to re-program your board with a High Voltage programmer.

(12-01-2013, 07:46 PM)forest Wrote: Well...I found solution (not sure if I can say that)

on WWW page :
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/que...dboard-use

The problem is that I used hand made ART2003 simple LVP programmer to load bootloader into chip, and because I don't know much about it I probably spoiled configuration bits in PIC.

I think Any help or at least wiki page for newbies would be a BIG help for people who want to start using Pinguino like Arduino Dodgy

What can I do now ? Do I need to reprogram bootloader with HV programmer and disable LVP bit ?

Please, can you extract useful information from this page and put somewhere into Wiki section to help newbies avoid countless hours of deep investigation ? Confused

http://www.piclist.com/techref/microchip...hvprog.htm

This is something unfortunately affecting Pinguino also IMHO
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
16-01-2013, 12:16 AM,
(15-01-2013, 12:08 PM)regis Wrote: The config bits of your Pinguino are those used by the bootloader.
All versions come with #pragma config LVP = OFF which disable Low Voltage Programming.
So yes, you will have to re-program your board with a High Voltage programmer.

Imho there should be some information for newbies how to program each chip used in Pinguinos boards. Especially how set configuration and what programmers to use maybe. I don't know if for Arduino there is something like that but not every user starting to use Pinguino will be using preprogrammed chip or ready board (bought).
P.S.
I think I will return to PIC nd Pinguino later after learning AVR Confused
Pinguino looked very promising and I thought it was easy but the lack of cheap programmer, the problems of programming chip in LVP mode and a little too small documentation stopped my enthusiasm....
16-01-2013, 02:13 AM,
So you think it's better to use a simpler chip with few choices so you don't choose wrongly?

Yes, maybe.

I prefer to put more effort in to learn but it's not simpler. I gave up AVR because too crude and costly. Simpler, yes.

John
16-01-2013, 08:14 AM,
Hi

+1

Bye Bye, Moreno
16-01-2013, 12:41 PM,
(16-01-2013, 02:13 AM)pingotg Wrote: So you think it's better to use a simpler chip with few choices so you don't choose wrongly?

Yes, maybe.

I prefer to put more effort in to learn but it's not simpler. I gave up AVR because too crude and costly. Simpler, yes.

John

What I can't find is the troubleshooting part of wiki with information how each chip should be programmed. Yes , a bit of small tutorial for newbies even if information would be duplicated with something I could find in big docs. Just something to allow ordinary electronic who can build circuit but don't know microcontrollers - to program chip and start using IDE.
16-01-2013, 01:28 PM,
Sounds like it needs someone to write just what you want.

I expect no-one else who built a DIY board needed it. They probably either had a suitable device programmer or knew about LVP or the config bits or just chose one of the standard things.

I guess you're in a very rare category here, so far just one person. If you'd like to write it up in case someone else hits this, great.

John