Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
analogRead time
11-02-2013, 01:59 PM,
analogRead time
Hi all, new on the forum and considering getting a Piguino PIC-32 for a data aquisition project. Arduino is just too slow for the task.

Before moving forward with this I'd like to know the following:

1. What is the speed of analogRead() on Pinguino? I've searched around and cannot find any information on this. Chipkit UNO32 is apparently around 6us...

2. Has anyone tried and succeeded/failed in connecting the Adafruit Ultimate GPS. If not, are there any potential issues? I'm aware Adafruit's Arduino library does not work with Pinguino. I need to capture both the NMEA data and 1PPS signal.

3. Not hardware but equally vital - does the IDE install and work under Win8 x64?

Thanks in advance for answering!
11-02-2013, 05:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 05:22 PM by pingotg.)
RE: analogRead time
Most PIC32 chips are 80MHz so time is the same for any board, except for the very cheap PIC32 chips which are 40MHz.

I think someone on here has used GSM - have a Search. I think a fair few GSM things are just serial I/O (RS232-type stuff; think PC COM port), which would be easy to do. I'd avoid most Arduino boards as they're often overpriced but see if Olimex make one as their prices are usually good.

Can't help with windoze as I use Linux.

John
19-03-2013, 02:51 PM,
RE: analogRead time
Hi metx
I had to google what that 1pps was.
With my limited knowledge I am not able to sample the 1pps and NMEA if they are output at the same time. You need an interrupt for the 1pps if it comes after the slow nmea output has started. That can be made, but I don't know how.
Interrupt driven serial input exists on pinguino but it's yet undocumented.
I think the hardware has 1 byte buffer so you don't have much time to react to the 1pps and leave it again.

For analogread you can leave it and instead RTFM (read the f* manual). google you PIC model# and find it on http://www.microchip.com. Sooner or later you will have to leave the safe pinguino/arduino environment and set/use the registers in the PIC. You can set the stabilizing/sampling time yourself. Perhaps you can see the current setting py ploughing through the sourcecode where analogRead() resides. Indeed new things to learn.

As for me I have just found out that my 6 blinking leds are due to that that port is by default a Parallel Port. I must consult the proper Microchip PIC manual and set the right registry bit to enable normal I/O. There is no easy function for that in the Pinguino IDE.
Windows, Icons, Mice and Pointers