Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiki Spam outbreak - noone deletes
25-03-2013, 11:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-03-2013, 11:15 PM by Pinguino.)
Wiki Spam outbreak - noone deletes
I see there's been a Wiki spam outbreak - but noone seems to be deleting it and I can only undo pages that previously existed. I have spent a lot of time adding to the Wiki so if noone else wants to police the link spammers, I'm happy to volunteer.

Perhaps the best solution is to have people ASK in the forums for access, before allowing new users on the Wiki - if you look at it now, there's potentially hundreds of lurking link spammers in the user list for the wiki.
26-03-2013, 06:13 PM,
RE: Wiki Spam outbreak - noone deletes
Hi all,
I've undone tentatively the latest Paintitblack's modification on Wiki top page.
Now we can see the page.

Regards

avrin
26-03-2013, 10:17 PM,
SVN tree has been changed that's why the first page has been updated.
Why did you delete this update ?

(26-03-2013, 06:13 PM)avrin Wrote: Hi all,
I've undone tentatively the latest Paintitblack's modification on Wiki top page.
Now we can see the page.

Regards

avrin
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
26-03-2013, 11:34 PM,
Hi Regis,

Because Wiki top page completely showed a empty page at least on Firefox browser on Windows,
I don't know the reason.
So Pinguino who wrote the first post and I have recognized the phenomenon as a spam.

I've revert the top page, now it has been showed correctly, but I don't know the reason.

Regards

avrin
28-03-2013, 05:05 PM,
(25-03-2013, 11:15 PM)Pinguino Wrote: I see there's been a Wiki spam outbreak - but noone seems to be deleting it and I can only undo pages that previously existed. I have spent a lot of time adding to the Wiki so if noone else wants to police the link spammers, I'm happy to volunteer.

I'm deleting spam.

Most of the time, I look at the Recent changes page daily. Weekly when I'm in holiday.

I can give special power to some users; but most of the time, I just restore the last database backup; it's faster than deleting page by page and blocking user by user.

Quote:Perhaps the best solution is to have people ASK in the forums for access, before allowing new users on the Wiki - if you look at it now, there's potentially hundreds of lurking link spammers in the user list for the wiki.

We have a terrible low rate of wiki updates, I don't want to obstruct contributions.
28-03-2013, 05:15 PM,
Any chance to get my changes back as I'm a registered user ?

(28-03-2013, 05:05 PM)koocotte Wrote: I can give special power to some users; but most of the time, I just restore the last database backup; it's faster than deleting page by page and blocking user by user.
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
28-03-2013, 06:00 PM,
(28-03-2013, 05:15 PM)regis Wrote: Any chance to get my changes back as I'm a registered user ?

Your changes are back on the main page.
28-03-2013, 06:30 PM,
Thanks a lot.

(28-03-2013, 06:00 PM)koocotte Wrote:
(28-03-2013, 05:15 PM)regis Wrote: Any chance to get my changes back as I'm a registered user ?

Your changes are back on the main page.
29-03-2013, 12:36 AM,
(28-03-2013, 05:05 PM)koocotte Wrote: I'm deleting spam.

Most of the time, I look at the Recent changes page daily. Weekly when I'm in holiday.

I can give special power to some users; but most of the time, I just restore the last database backup; it's faster than deleting page by page and blocking user by user.

Sure, but this is only going to get worse. Just look at the hundreds of spam sleepers that you have in the wiki user list! Some have a user name of [user]001...[user]100!

(25-03-2013, 11:15 PM)Pinguino Wrote: Perhaps the best solution is to have people ASK in the forums for access, before allowing new users on the Wiki - if you look at it now, there's potentially hundreds of lurking link spammers in the user list for the wiki.

(28-03-2013, 05:05 PM)koocotte Wrote: We have a terrible low rate of wiki updates, I don't want to obstruct contributions.

Trust me, unless you do something about all the spam sleeper accounts on the wiki, quite apart from the growing number of new spam registrations, the current spam outbreak will seem like a mere drop in the ocean.

One thing you can do, without obstructing contributions (though I'm not sure who you think you might be obstructing because they're not registering at the moment Smile, is delete all new accounts for which there have been no edits. The classic link spammer registers and generally waits anything from a day to a few months before striking. I really doubt this would obstruct any legitimate contributors: how many people go through the trouble to register and then do nothing?
31-03-2013, 07:20 PM,
(29-03-2013, 12:36 AM)Pinguino Wrote: Sure, but this is only going to get worse. Just look at the hundreds of spam sleepers that you have in the wiki user list! Some have a user name of [user]001...[user]100!

There's hundreds of spam account without activity because there's another level of protection on page creation and robots give up.

Quote:Trust me, unless you do something about all the spam sleeper accounts on the wiki, quite apart from the growing number of new spam registrations, the current spam outbreak will seem like a mere drop in the ocean.

One thing you can do, without obstructing contributions (though I'm not sure who you think you might be obstructing because they're not registering at the moment Smile, is delete all new accounts for which there have been no edits. The classic link spammer registers and generally waits anything from a day to a few months before striking. I really doubt this would obstruct any legitimate contributors: how many people go through the trouble to register and then do nothing?

Yes, I can do this if the level increase.