Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flash memory size of the pinguino 220
23-01-2014, 11:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014, 11:01 PM by pingotg.)
RE: flash memory size of the pinguino 220
You can use a serial bootloader. Worst case you build in the IDE and then download out of it (or tweak the IDE).

You can use -Os

I don't think any MIPS16 patch is needed as -mips16 looks to work (but needs some work to allow linking etc).

So, doesn't seem like xc32 is needed at all.

I'm not especially excited by the MX220 board, however!

John
24-01-2014, 10:09 AM,
Hi Vasi,
It's been a long time !
I'm not especially excited by the MX220 (32K/8K) too when you can have MX250 (128K/32K) for quite the same price ... (I'm talking about hobbyist-friendly DIP chip).
I'm neither exited by a serial bootloader when most of computers have no more serial port and the chip is USB capable.
Andrej (agolac) is now busy to study the new microchip toolchain to improve our own. He's also writing a new tiny 32-bit Pinguino HID USB bootloader to replace those from microchip.
So it won't be long before Pinguino use only Pinguino tools and we will have 100% control of the code.
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
24-01-2014, 11:40 AM,
The new toolchain... what does it offer that's new or better?

It looks crippled and old.

John
24-01-2014, 12:31 PM,
(24-01-2014, 11:40 AM)pingotg Wrote: The new toolchain... what does it offer that's new or better?

It looks crippled and old.

John

You are right. At first look it should do nothing specially new and that is why it is not at priority. Current one works fine. But general idea is to bring current toolchain closer to Microchip with same gcc, newlib etc. so it is more updating it to more current libraries than inventing something new.Big Grin
Dreaming in Code...
24-01-2014, 01:22 PM,
xc32 looks to be gcc 4.5.2 so not even a newer gcc

plib is probably used by some, but otherwise a working USB without Microchip problems is I guess the most important. DP (Dangeroous Prototypes) have one I think in case it's useful.

John
24-01-2014, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-01-2014, 02:29 PM by agolac.)
(24-01-2014, 01:22 PM)pingotg Wrote: xc32 looks to be gcc 4.5.2 so not even a newer gcc

plib is probably used by some, but otherwise a working USB without Microchip problems is I guess the most important. DP (Dangeroous Prototypes) have one I think in case it's useful.

John

I agree with you. Step by step. Smile

(24-01-2014, 01:22 PM)pingotg Wrote: xc32 looks to be gcc 4.5.2 so not even a newer gcc

John

Regarding USB stack, there is new few month old USB stack that supports many PIC chips including PIC32MX. It is open source and it is option for Pinguino. But, I wanted to write bootloader from scratch, so Im going this route. It is great for me learning USB and be useful to the community along the way.

http://www.signal11.us/oss/m-stack/
Dreaming in Code...
24-01-2014, 03:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-01-2014, 03:43 PM by pingotg.)
I think that's another. Had a hunt and the DP one is
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Open...ontrollers
Looks like it would need changes for PIC32.

Anything that works would be good if it's smaller Smile

I don't mind reprogramming my MX220 board (I've a pickit3) if you want a tester at some point. I've gcc / c32 toolchains of various types, too (all on Linux).

John
24-01-2014, 04:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-01-2014, 04:44 PM by agolac.)
(24-01-2014, 03:42 PM)pingotg Wrote: I think that's another. Had a hunt and the DP one is
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Open...ontrollers
Looks like it would need changes for PIC32.

Anything that works would be good if it's smaller Smile

I don't mind reprogramming my MX220 board (I've a pickit3) if you want a tester at some point. I've gcc / c32 toolchains of various types, too (all on Linux).

John

Yes, signal11 is new USB stack and already compatible with PIC32 so it does not need porting. But it is written in MPLABX, it uses a bunch of Microchip macros, functions etc. so it is mess all together..
My idea is to build all from scratch and have genuine Pinguno USB stack. USB is not easy task but it is not nuclear science too, so with time I'll do it.

For bootloader, I'm writing USB part for only what I need for it to work, so it should be as small as it can be. It will be interrupt driven, and I plan to stuff all code I can in bootflash (possibly all of it)
I was even thinking Mass storage class bootloader instead of HID class? What do you think about that? Any reason why HID class is better than Mass storage one? Microchip also has mass storage bootloader. It seems even more practical solution, because one only needs to copy hex file to pretended mass storage device.

Thanks, will need this to be tested on all the Pinguno boards when I'm done, and I have only one (OTG). I'm grinding slowly but going forward ;o) A lot of fun for me in future ;o)
Dreaming in Code...
24-01-2014, 09:38 PM,
I suppose get it working in any way, then decide what ways to customize.

I got unit_test to build with Pinguino toolchain (no MPLAB) but have some stubs and the ld file is for a non-bootloader as yet.

I think the ISR is wrong and there's a worrying warning as well, so more to do. Oh and for the wrong PIC32 chip. No -mips16 so that needs adding, too.

I don't really have time to spare, either!!

John
24-01-2014, 10:26 PM,
(24-01-2014, 09:38 PM)pingotg Wrote: I suppose get it working in any way, then decide what ways to customize.

I got unit_test to build with Pinguino toolchain (no MPLAB) but have some stubs and the ld file is for a non-bootloader as yet.

I think the ISR is wrong and there's a worrying warning as well, so more to do. Oh and for the wrong PIC32 chip. No -mips16 so that needs adding, too.

I don't really have time to spare, either!!

John

Are you talking about signal11 stack?
Dreaming in Code...