Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flash memory size of the pinguino 220
24-01-2014, 11:56 PM,
RE: flash memory size of the pinguino 220
Also, regarding toolchain version. Pinguino uses linker and assembler along with other binutil tools, version 2.21 dating 2011. XC32 uses binutils 2.23.51 which is end of 2013. If you try to compile latest Microchip crt0.S with pinguino toolchain it will fail untl you modify assembler code. So, imho there is space for improvement in future..
Dreaming in Code...
25-01-2014, 12:49 AM,
Yes, signal11. I didn't use any files from xc32.

The signal11 page says it does PIC32 but I don't see code for it, do you?

John
25-01-2014, 01:02 AM,
USB stack is located in m-stack/usb so its all there separated with #idef __XC32__
Dreaming in Code...
25-01-2014, 11:50 AM,
I think I was expecting more than that. All built above. So far looks like with a bootloader it won't fit in 3K (but maybe it will with mips16).

Now, back to ARM Smile

John
25-01-2014, 02:47 PM,
(25-01-2014, 11:50 AM)pingotg Wrote: I think I was expecting more than that. All built above. So far looks like with a bootloader it won't fit in 3K (but maybe it will with mips16).

Now, back to ARM Smile

John

You using Pinguino for ARM?
Dreaming in Code...
25-01-2014, 04:26 PM,
No, I'm mainly using ARM for projects. Open source tools, cheaper and faster CPUs. Unfortunately I bought some PIC32 boards before ARM boards and am reluctant to abandon them.

Microchip seem determined to put obstacles in the way despite having poorer offerings. Most odd.

John
25-01-2014, 04:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2014, 04:50 PM by agolac.)
(25-01-2014, 04:26 PM)pingotg Wrote: No, I'm mainly using ARM for projects. Open source tools, cheaper and faster CPUs. Unfortunately I bought some PIC32 boards before ARM boards and am reluctant to abandon them.

Microchip seem determined to put obstacles in the way despite having poorer offerings. Most odd.

John

Which toolchain would you recommend for ARM?
Dreaming in Code...
25-01-2014, 07:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2014, 07:45 PM by funlw65.)
(25-01-2014, 04:26 PM)pingotg Wrote: No, I'm mainly using ARM for projects. Open source tools, cheaper and faster CPUs. Unfortunately I bought some PIC32 boards before ARM boards and am reluctant to abandon them.

John

Hi John,

Only the AN1388 serial bootloader will barely fit there with -mips16 and -Os option. No way to fit there an USB bootloader.

If Diolan's HID bootloader fits in 2Kb written in assembler for 8bit architecture, double that for 16bit.

Vasi

(rant)
Indeed, is unthinkable what Microsoft is doing. He is not a software company. Buying microcontrollers from them, should give me the right to use non-crippled tools. Otherwise, those microcontrollers are useless if I can't use them at the maximum capacity. Exactly, those specifications and features form the datasheet means absolutely nothing if I can't use them.

But you know what is the most unthinkable? The constant adhesion Mirochip gets form the ones he "oppresses".

BTW, how many of us can use the extended mode of PIC18F? A mode we pay for with every microcontroller bought. Probably, only those who know the assembler language. Not useful for me. Probably this is why I use now ATmega/ATtiny...
(/rant)
26-01-2014, 05:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-01-2014, 05:38 PM by pingotg.)
There are quite a few ARM toolchains because ARM is supported out of the box by gcc. Easy to get any (apt-get install or whatever) or build from source or download a few and play.

Some like Yagarto I think it's called.

What you do can depend on whether you use fp (floating point) / which you want (like armhf on AW chips).

There are tons of chips, more than you'll ever want I imagine.

I've not used a crippled or paid-for ARM toolchain at all.

Some rather like JTAG as you can do source-level debug, single-step and so on. Eclipse, gdb etc if you like. All open source and nothing the chip maker can or wants to interfere with or make you pay for.

Using JTAG you don't need a bootloader so no memory gets used up by one.

John
29-01-2014, 01:46 AM,
(26-01-2014, 05:36 PM)pingotg Wrote: There are quite a few ARM toolchains because ARM is supported out of the box by gcc. Easy to get any (apt-get install or whatever) or build from source or download a few and play.

Some like Yagarto I think it's called.

What you do can depend on whether you use fp (floating point) / which you want (like armhf on AW chips).

There are tons of chips, more than you'll ever want I imagine.

I've not used a crippled or paid-for ARM toolchain at all.

Some rather like JTAG as you can do source-level debug, single-step and so on. Eclipse, gdb etc if you like. All open source and nothing the chip maker can or wants to interfere with or make you pay for.

Using JTAG you don't need a bootloader so no memory gets used up by one.

John

I plan to buy Olimex STM32-E407 (JTAG) with ARM cortex M4, 1 MB flash and slowly learn through it and parallely port Pinguino to ARM. I know this has been on Pinguino agenda from the begining, but the focus shifted to PIC until is complete. This will also take some time but hey, every journey starts with first step...
I'm now on business trip to Norway and I'm ordering my new ARM board in few weeks as soon as I come back home. So, USB PIC32 bootloader and ARM. ARM part should be enough to keep me busy for years Big Grin

Do you have any experience with STM32? Good place to start with ARM?
Will have to dig into this too, along with digging into PIC32...
Dreaming in Code...