Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equatorial mount motor board controller
23-05-2013, 12:15 AM,
Equatorial mount motor board controller
HEllo all,
for those interested in astronomy, i have "ported" a firmware developped by thomas carpenter(on arduino) to create a clone of the motor board found in skywatcher and orion chinese equatorial mounts.
The code is still rather crude and in perpetual developpement but is already available on github:
https://github.com/TCWORLD/AstroEQ/tree/...C-Firmware
The next firmware release will be quite different and surely optimised compared to the one already published.
This firmware is written so that it is compatible with the famous EQMOD ASCOM driver (eq-mod.sourceforge.net) (at least it answer correctly to the EQMOD queries, but there is still some code tuning to do mainly in the interrupt core).
stepper motors are connected to the board using pololu stepper drivers boards which are quite cheap and powerful!
I am also sure that this firmware can be adapted to drive servo motors instead of steppers, but it's not my primary goal!
Also, even if untested, this firmware can possibly be connected to the hand controller of these mounts (since it use the same communication protocol)
Joël
23-05-2013, 08:49 AM,
RE: Equatorial mount motor board controller
Hi Joel,
Do you have some pictures of your project ?
It would be great if you write some lines for the blog.
Régis

(23-05-2013, 12:15 AM)joel Wrote: HEllo all,
for those interested in astronomy, i have "ported" a firmware developped by thomas carpenter(on arduino) to create a clone of the motor board found in skywatcher and orion chinese equatorial mounts.
The code is still rather crude and in perpetual developpement but is already available on github:
The next firmware release will be quite different and surely optimised compared to the one already published.
This firmware is written so that it is compatible with the famous EQMOD ASCOM driver (eq-mod.sourceforge.net) (at least it answer correctly to the EQMOD queries, but there is still some code tuning to do mainly in the interrupt core).
stepper motors are connected to the board using pololu stepper drivers boards which are quite cheap and powerful!
I am also sure that this firmware can be adapted to drive servo motors instead of steppers, but it's not my primary goal!
Also, even if untested, this firmware can possibly be connected to the hand controller of these mounts (since it use the same communication protocol)
Joël
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
24-05-2013, 05:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013, 05:19 PM by joel.)
Hi Regis,

No i don't Confused, but that should be doable in a near future (need to clean abit the code..). Actually a video of the motors (i still have to do the mechanic for the mount..this require a bit more of time) turning and responding to commands would be better! Smile
I think it is possible for me to write some lines for the blog, which i can MP you (with a small video). I am a bit (well alot is probably a better word Rolleyes ) busy these coming days, but i think this is doable within 3 weeks...not more (i hope) !

Joël
(23-05-2013, 08:49 AM)regis Wrote: Hi Joel,
Do you have some pictures of your project ?
It would be great if you write some lines for the blog.
Régis

(23-05-2013, 12:15 AM)joel Wrote: HEllo all,
Joël
25-05-2013, 03:10 PM,
Ok, I will be patient Wink. Thank you.
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.