Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8-bit total failures
09-11-2013, 07:36 PM,
8-bit total failures
Hello Pinguino team!
Great products, concept, and dedication to you all.

I am having issues with home-brew 8-bit boards based upon both the 18F4550 and the 18F27J53. The boards have been successfully built according to the current schenatics, loaded with the proper bootloaders (V4.13 and 4.12 via Pickit3) and I am using the latest IDE (Vx.4 Easypak). My machine is an XP Pro at the latest SP3. They are recognized by Windows and drivers install seamlessly.
When I try even the simplest app (the ubiquitous Blink) it compiles just fine. When I reset the board(s) and try to upload via bootloader I am constantly getting:
"Pinguino not found
Is your device connected and/or in bootloader mode ?"
This is in spite of everything directed by the instructions on the web page.
I am really excited about the mass storage capabilities now as that is exactly what I am in need of (SD card storage) and an external RTCC (MCP7410). BUT, is is frustrating that I cannot get the hex file to upload. I can use the Pickit3 to upload if necessary. But the bootloder would be much sweeter!
What am I missing? I feel that the answer is right in front of my nose but I can't see it ...

Thanks for any help!

Bill
09-11-2013, 10:56 PM,
RE: 8-bit total failures
Hi Bill
Did you put your board in boot mode by pressing the boot button before clicking the IDE upload icon ? You have to see the user led flashing rapidly to succeed uploading.
André
10-11-2013, 07:18 PM,
Hello Andre.
Thanks for the quick response!
I assume you mean the "Reset" button when you refererence the "Boot" button? According to the schematics & instructions there is no more need for the boot button.
But, yes, I have reset the boards just prior to the upload process. I have tried immediately after, waited a few seconds after (reset), waited a LONG time after, etc.
V4.12 & 4.13 flash the user LED very rapidly (perhaps 20HZ?) regardless of 8MHZ or 20MHZ xtal. This is on the PIC18F4550. The PIC18F27J53 (sweet little processor!!) doesnt have any success either. The 27J53 is in its early stages of release so I am not too terribly worried about that. When the 4550 falls into place I believe the other(s) will begin to behave for me also.
BTW, I have the 32-bit Olimex Pinguino OTG and it works flawlessly within the IDE. Unfortunately,the project I am working on requires VERY low power (battery powered, long term remote outdoor operation) and the OTG just is too power hungry. Not enough power budget for it. So the Pinguino 8-bit is ideal for this project (datalogging and power budget).
This is my first attempt at building an 8-bit Pinguino so I am probably just missing something benign.
I am using am MELabs 40-pin prototyping PCBA (PICProto 64), 3.3v all around, powered by USB (for now) regulated down to 3.3V and a PICKit3 ICSP. It is built identical to the PIC18F4550_1 circuit.

I hope this rings a bell?

Thanks again!

Keep up the good work, all.

Bill
11-11-2013, 12:30 PM,
When you press the reset button, the user led blinks at a high frequency (T=2*43ms exactly), it means your Pinguino enters in the bootloader mode. Now, you can upload your program with no time limit. At the end of the upload, your program should start automatically.
While in bootloader mode, your Pinguino act as a USB Bulk Device. Try something like lsusb to check if your Pinguino is recognized.
Pinguino 4550 + bootloader 4.13 (or 4.12) has been tested without problem so it's maybe a hardware issue ... difficult to figure out from here.
Good luck.
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.