Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PIC32MZ
23-11-2013, 08:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013, 08:28 PM by psmll1.)
RE: New PIC32MZ
(23-11-2013, 01:42 AM)iyahdub Wrote: They say chips will come at around 4 euros when ordered for over 1000 units (there abouts).

hxxtp://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/press-release/microchips-pic32mz-32-bit-mcus.html :
Quote:Pricing starts at $6.68 each in 10,000-unit quantities.

It's more like 5€ at 10,000 units...
24-11-2013, 06:03 PM,
How does that help people who want to get started affordably? It doesn't. An allwinner board is cheaper yet may have 4GB NAND and 2GB RAM. CPU at about 1GHz.

Or the rather well known Raspberry Pi.

Microchip marketing must be in a special little closed universe. Probably with Nokia.

John
25-11-2013, 01:30 AM,
(24-11-2013, 06:03 PM)pingotg Wrote: How does that help people who want to get started affordably?
[...]
Microchip marketing must be in a special little closed universe. Probably with Nokia.

Microchip and its Marketing Department is (rightly) concerned with selling 1,000s of devices at a time to large customers with monthly standing orders. Development boards are generally, with a few exceptions, priced accordingly.

There is a 20% educational discount for those with .edu or .edu.* email addresses on most of the more expensive development boards.

The hobbyist market, such as it is, is just not in the same league.
25-11-2013, 03:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013, 03:21 AM by psmll1.)
@Pinguino

All true except about the hobbyist.

Microchip at this time have the selling volume because of the people that years ago learned microcontrollers with Microchip PICs.

These days Microchip ignore almost all the hobbyist, you look at other vendors and you see that they almost came to you giving you stuff, so you learn their microcontrollers, once you do that, you will not lost your time with Microchip.

You need to lost a good amount of money with hobbyist so some of those people became your future costumers, is that simple.

Microchip always had the free samples and for years locked several people with microchip stuff, but these days with some of the packages not being so hobbyist friendly the new big thing are development boards, simple boards that act almost only as an adapter so you can access the I/Os easily.

So, several manufacturers these days have those almost free or free.

Even the tools to program/debug are almost free.

Also the price of the actual microcontrollers, many manufacturers have insane low prices, for many of those offerings Microchip don't have a good response.

So in my point of view I think that "Microchip and its Marketing Department" should also be really concerned with hobbyist and their prices or like everything in live, things change.
25-11-2013, 10:21 AM,
With Microchip so far behind in terms of speed & memory size they need to do something to encourage industry talk. Giving away dev boards would be best. Otherwise, low price. Their current way is hopeless. They're out of touch.

It's a bootstrapping (pump-priming, if you prefer) process. You can do it fast or slow but slow costs a lot of money overall because you lose or never get market share.

John
16-02-2014, 12:34 AM,
Hi,

I think that overall the situation is not so bad for hobbyists.
You can get free samples, free compilers and free IDE from Microchip.
Only a pickit2 or pickit3 programmer is needed to flash a bootloader if needed ;=)

Regarding PIC32MZ, I'm sure some companies will soon offer cheap breadboards or simple boards as they do today (Olimex, Sparkfun, Mikroelektronika).

regards