Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Always "Bootloader not found"
20-12-2013, 12:19 PM,
Always "Bootloader not found"
Hi,
A couple of months ago I became interested in Pinguino; but I am still not able to use it. Always it is reported "bootloader not found".
I made a diy 18F4550 20MHz board, successfully flashed bootloader 413 using hardware programmer, and as expected led blinks repeatedly on reset. So bootloader is present, but any prog upload is impossible.
No errors are reported in log & panic files so my installation should be OK. PID and VID are also correctly declared.
My old PC didn't support USB2, so I installed a USB2 PCI card. But still not communicating with the Pinguino board.
I still think there is a communication problem between Pinguino IDE and the board. But what and where is it ? What is still missing from my installation ? Has anyone had this problem ? Does anyone have any suggestiions ? Otherwise, reluctantly and regretably, I shall have to abandon the Pinguino platform !

Also yesterday I installed the latest IDE revision. But how to properly uninstall previous versions. I would like to uninstall Rev903, but I do not find any uninstall application or instructions anywhere. How to do it please ?
My setup is WinXP Pro 32bit SP3.

rgds, Spacerowa.
20-12-2013, 12:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-12-2013, 12:47 PM by pingotg.)
RE: Always "Bootloader not found"
Ideas:
1. buy any cheap pre-built pinguino board and if it works you know you're looking for a hardware fault with your board
2. it's probably a USB problem (voltage, resistors, cable, ...)
3. else a power supply problem

#1 is the most certain way forward since we know the boards & project do work. Should you buy a board and it still won't work it's your set up (Windows, USB cable, PSU, ...).

John
20-12-2013, 03:27 PM,
Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Is your Pinguino listed in the device manager when in programming mode?

If not, check your wiring (could be a short on the usb connector). If it has a warning, then it'll be driver related.

The Pinguino directory is self-contained, so you can just delete it without any problems.
21-12-2013, 11:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013, 11:57 AM by Spacerowa.)
(20-12-2013, 03:27 PM)niki_m Wrote: Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Is your Pinguino listed in the device manager when in programming mode?

If not, check your wiring (could be a short on the usb connector). If it has a warning, then it'll be driver related.

The Pinguino directory is self-contained, so you can just delete it without any problems.

Yes, it has always been declared under device manager. But the good news is that my Pinguino diy board is now working with Rev903, ( but not Rev 959 ) on my Win XP 32bit system. Yesterday I spent a lot of time installing, installing again and again and so on... and finally to my great relief uploading now works fine. I really don't know what if anything I could have changed. But still no success with Rev959, so I will delete it in the way you say.
Is there absolutely no possibility to run Pinguino on usb1.0 as I would prefer to use Pinguino on an old pc which only has support for usb1
br Spacerowa

(20-12-2013, 12:47 PM)pingotg Wrote: Ideas:
1. buy any cheap pre-built pinguino board and if it works you know you're looking for a hardware fault with your board
2. it's probably a USB problem (voltage, resistors, cable, ...)
3. else a power supply problem

#1 is the most certain way forward since we know the boards & project do work. Should you buy a board and it still won't work it's your set up (Windows, USB cable, PSU, ...).

John

Hi John,
My board is fine, I got it working yesterday with uploading - see my reply to another post in this thread. But perhaps you can advise on using Pinguino on USB1.
rgds Spacerowa.
21-12-2013, 12:38 PM,
I use Linux, which just works and alsways did without any problems at all. (I gave up fighting Windows some years ago, as a pain in the ....)

John
21-12-2013, 04:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013, 05:02 PM by niki_m.)
There are 2 versions of the XP drivers Spacerowa..

The drivers supplied with the SVN are Microchip based & the ones in the IDE Downloads section are LibUSB based. Could be worth seeing if one works better for you.

I can't see why it wouldn't work with USB1... USB2 low & hi speed are just the USB1 spec anyway.

Also, is your Pinguino self-powered or USB-powered?

I have a vista-based laptop that doesn't like USB-powered Pinguino's for some reason. May be similiar with your computer...