Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pic-kit 3 + Pic32 Pinguino otg + bootloader + mplabx
23-02-2014, 05:22 PM,
pic-kit 3 + Pic32 Pinguino otg + bootloader + mplabx
I have the necessity to interface the PIC-KIT 3 olimex programmer with a PIC32 olimex Pinguino otg.
In particular I cannot program in boot modality while I can use it to debug.

Do I need a new bootloader? how do I load it?

Thanks a lot!
Gianni

PS I work with mplabx
25-02-2014, 07:19 AM,
RE: pic-kit 3 + Pic32 Pinguino otg + bootloader + mplabx
You didn't make it clear what you are trying to do, but I will try to explain where to start.

1) PIC32-Pinguino-OTG is not in the list of development boards in MPLAB X. If you are trying to compile and run any included sample program, you will need to change the IO configuration such as led and button. It will be easier if you pick a similar Microchip dev board and modify such as USB Start Kit.

2) Standard configuration of MPLAB X will generate hex file that has to be loaded with a programmer like PICKit3. The existing bootloader from Olimex will be destroyed. I like the ability to debug the starting up of the system.

If you set PICKit 3 in 'bootloader' mode, MPLAB X will automatically upload the newly created firmware to the board. The ICSP connectors are different and you need to get a converter from Olimex or make yourself. You can change to/from 'OS' mode easily to make it work as a stand alone programmer.

3) By changing the link loader script (memory configuration), you can produce hex files that can be uploaded by Olimex bootloader and run. However not all the firmware produced by MPLAB X will work properly due to the configuration difference during the boot time. Particularly those peripherals sensitive to the timing may behave differently.

Last piece of advice is that when you use MPLAB X development environment, try to think MPLAB X way instead of Pinguino IDE way of writing code. Likewise, when you work with Pinguino IDE, it is best to ignore how you do with MPLAB X.

DJ
25-02-2014, 11:12 AM,
RE: pic-kit 3 + Pic32 Pinguino otg + bootloader + mplabx
very well, thank a lot!