Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
usb and osx
26-02-2014, 12:33 PM,
usb and osx
Hi everybody!!
i m a new owner of a pinguino otg using IDE to program it.
until now, i managed to make leds blink and to write things on a lcd3310 olimex display.
in the long term, i d like to be able to communicate with audio software like reaper via osc (open sound control protocol).
they are 2 options to do so :
- first, use ethernet connection which means that i would need a olimex ethernet kit for example.
- the second one would be to use usb port already included on the pinguino otg board and who allows to power the pinguino board.
so, regard to this, the second one might be the best one.
from what i read, pinguino otg's usb port and mac osx doesn't work well together.
so what do i d like to know is :
will the usb communication between pinguino otg and osx will improve in the future or is it hardware limited??
it s very imortant for me to know because if i have to spend hours to learn how everything works based on ethernet communication and i discover that in a few months communication between pinguino otg and osx improves, i d better wait for the usb communication to improves.
i also read that microchip's ide includes usb's library's.
do they have same limitations? is it a lot harder to use microchip's IDE instead of pinguino's IDE? will i have to buy a specific programmer??
and last question, if i manage to make it work one day via usb, will i have to develop a specific driver on the computer or will it use the defaut usb drivers?? (that would be nice if it could be cross platform, i mean working with windows, osx, linux...)
it s a lot of answers but i need to know what is possible to do to make good decisions.
sorry for my poor english, im french and i do my best...
thanks for your reply!!!!!!
26-02-2014, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014, 03:34 PM by pingotg.)
RE: usb and osx
Pinguino USB (as device such as CDC) works about adequately with Linux & Windows. Does it not work with OSX? (It has to be an OSX fault if not.)

The code looks to be Microchip's, btw.

John
26-02-2014, 05:34 PM,
asaik, cdc does not work on osx.
i read that it doesn't work and i tried it.
i understood it s related to com ports or something like that.
it s certainly the way it s handled which is not supported on osx.
thanks for your help
26-02-2014, 06:45 PM,
It's a standard USB CDC device so you're looking for why OSX has a problem and what the fix is. Google etc will likely turn up a thing to install/change on OSX.

John
26-02-2014, 08:12 PM,
when i read cdc.print on wiki.pinguino.cc, it's written :

-------------------------------------------------------------
Bugs :

OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8

The CDC device nodes /dev/cu.usbmodemXXXXX and /dev/tty.usbmodemXXXXX are created, but no i/o is possible (X.4 rev 909).
-------------------------------------------------------------

maybe, it s not a problem and as i m a beginner i m not using it properly.
26-02-2014, 09:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014, 09:31 PM by pingotg.)
So go try those. Read up how OSX works.

This should be standard stuff, it's nothing to do with Pinguino it's everything to do with OSX.

Probably worth trying a standard terminal program, if need be as super user (does OSX have one?).

John
27-02-2014, 09:24 AM,
thanks for your help!!
i gonna spend time to learn it...
03-03-2014, 06:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014, 06:06 AM by Pinguino.)
Pinguino USB CDC does not work with OS X (I've tried with every version since Tiger). It also doesn't work with FreeBSD (I've tried with 7, 8 and 9-stable). In both OS cases it creates the device nodes, but no i/o is possible. So, it almost works Smile

I think it's too easy to say the problem is the OS and not a Pinguino related failure. Other USB CDC implementations I have tried (eg Microchip, MikroElektronika, JAL) do work with both OS X and FreeBSD and PICs. It's on my list of things to look at when I have spare time again ... but don't let that stop someone else having a look.

As for OS X terminal programs, there's screen already installed.
03-03-2014, 07:47 AM,
thanks for reply.
so i ll spend time to learn ethernet connection and try to understand how UDP, data exchanges and all encapsulation works!!
03-03-2014, 08:44 AM,
If you want to try UDP, I suggest getting a MOD-ENC28J60 from Olimex. Driver for ENC28J60 is included in Pinguino IDE and it works fine.

UDP is connectionless protocol and whatever sent out will be received by the destination IP (subject to network error). It is very suitable for monitoring and controlling of Pinguino just like serial port.

Telnet doesn't handle UDP. You can use netcat (nc) to connect to or accept connection from Pinguino using UDP. Writing a Socket based application to communicate with Pinguino using UDP is also quite simple.