Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new PICduino
27-02-2014, 03:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014, 03:33 AM by Mario78.)
A new PICduino
Hi,
just to show my design of a PICduino board. A year ago I googled for a Pinguino board that were physically identical to an Arduino UNO, looking for shield compatibility. I found at least six of such designs (one right in this forum, the PICUNO EQUO), but I couldn't find one that were open-hardware published or were identical to an Arduino. So I designed what I wished to find.

This board implements the simplest and canonical PInguino hardware, can hold a 18F2550 or a 18F4550, is DIY oriented, uses single-sided PCB, is designed in Fritzing Wink, and respect de following from Arduino UNO R3:
- The shape and size of PCB
- The position and quantity of all pins (UNO R3)
- The position and size of 4 holes in PCB
- The position of USB connector (type B) and power connector

The mapping of the pins between Arduino an Pinguino were the most interesting part, in the site you will find a comparative table between different implementations of PICduinos. The present design is based in viewing the Arduino pins like a bus, trying to achieve shield compatibility.

View the PICduino

Sorry, I apologize, but the site is enterely in spanish. If time permits, I will port some pages to english.

The interest in the Arduino UNO R3 is that this board is the reference implentation of the Arduino Platform. The Arduino UNO physical design is not perfect, but I found it could be a starting point for getting some shields for the modular system presented in the above site. So, first the shields were designed, and then the PICduino.

Once the pin mappings were resolved, the software side had to be revised. I already had an Arduino library for the shields, and an initial port to Pinguino was made. I already manage to get the exact same code (arduino and pinguino) for the Direct shield (the simplest one), and right now, I'm porting the library for the DIOport shield that uses I2C with a PCF8574.

The PICduino and the shields are open-hardware, and the libraries free-software.

Comments appreciated,
Best regards, Mario

27-02-2014, 03:18 PM,
RE: A new PICduino
Well done ! Congratulation.
I'd like to read some of your future tests with this board.

(27-02-2014, 03:20 AM)Mario78 Wrote: Hi,
just to show my design of a PICduino board. A year ago I googled for a Pinguino board that were physically identical to an Arduino UNO, looking for shield compatibility. I found at least six of such designs (one right in this forum, the PICUNO EQUO), but I couldn't find one that were open-hardware published or were identical to an Arduino. So I designed what I wished to find.

This board implements the simplest and canonical PInguino hardware, can hold a 18F2550 or a 18F4550, is DIY oriented, uses single-sided PCB, is designed in Fritzing Wink, and respect de following from Arduino UNO R3:
- The shape and size of PCB
- The position and quantity of all pins (UNO R3)
- The position and size of 4 holes in PCB
- The position of USB connector (type B) and power connector

The mapping of the pins between Arduino an Pinguino were the most interesting part, in the site you will find a comparative table between different implementations of PICduinos. The present design is based in viewing the Arduino pins like a bus, trying to achieve shield compatibility.

View the PICduino

Sorry, I apologize, but the site is enterely in spanish. If time permits, I will port some pages to english.

The interest in the Arduino UNO R3 is that this board is the reference implentation of the Arduino Platform. The Arduino UNO physical design is not perfect, but I found it could be a starting point for getting some shields for the modular system presented in the above site. So, first the shields were designed, and then the PICduino.

Once the pin mappings were resolved, the software side had to be revised. I already had an Arduino library for the shields, and an initial port to Pinguino was made. I already manage to get the exact same code (arduino and pinguino) for the Direct shield (the simplest one), and right now, I'm porting the library for the DIOport shield that uses I2C with a PCF8574.

The PICduino and the shields are open-hardware, and the libraries free-software.

Comments appreciated,
Best regards, Mario
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.