Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modded io.c and Serial.c Pic32MX250
02-06-2014, 09:31 PM,
Modded io.c and Serial.c Pic32MX250
Hi all,

i have made a small modification on io.c and serial.c for the pic32 DIY boards.
The idea is, for those who want a serial link (with bluetooth for example), and find that the number of pins is too short, to have the two USB pins transformed into a serial interface (serial2).
For the hardware this can be easily done with a modified cable with usb plug at one end and the bluetooth / and or ttl rs232 link at the other end (RX/TX only), or for those who want, 2 wires soldered on the usb D+/D- pins.
To use the functionnality just put in your code a #define USBASSERIAL2 1

I have still to test if it works, but should be ok.

Joël

.c   io.c (Size: 5.63 KB / Downloads: 2)

.c   serial.c (Size: 35.56 KB / Downloads: 3)
11-06-2014, 10:22 PM,
RE: Modded io.c and Serial.c Pic32MX250
Hi all,
tested this mod today, with an old usb cable i sacrificed for the test.
Cut down the cable, kept the USB-B plug with a part of the cable, soldered a small connector onto D+ and D- cable. then plugged my serial adapter (a bluetooth one) to this small connector!
Works great!! Have now full usage of the 15 pins of the PIC32 + aerial serial link (bluetooth)+ ability to use bootlader when needed!!
And the nice thing (not tested however) is that you can even provide power to the bluetooth using the 2 remaining cable from the usb cable.

All the power of the PCI32 + the maximum io pins +aerial serial communication + DIY board Smile !!!

Regis, maybe this mod, which do not create issue with a "standard" usage of the PIC32 DIY can be included in the source code ? (it indeed require a define in the pinguino code to be "activated")!!

Main "drawback", maybe, is that the board can not be powered anymore by the usb plug....

(02-06-2014, 09:31 PM)joel Wrote: Hi all,

i have made a small modification on io.c and serial.c for the pic32 DIY boards.
The idea is, for those who want a serial link (with bluetooth for example), and find that the number of pins is too short, to have the two USB pins transformed into a serial interface (serial2).
For the hardware this can be easily done with a modified cable with usb plug at one end and the bluetooth / and or ttl rs232 link at the other end (RX/TX only), or for those who want, 2 wires soldered on the usb D+/D- pins.
To use the functionnality just put in your code a #define USBASSERIAL2 1

I have still to test if it works, but should be ok.

Joël
16-06-2014, 06:22 PM,
RE: Modded io.c and Serial.c Pic32MX250
Hi Joel,
Sorry for the late response.
I will check this and publish it as soon as possible.
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.