Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinguino-OTG showing up as USB Input Device (Win 7)
11-08-2014, 01:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014, 03:11 AM by airspoon.)
Pinguino-OTG showing up as USB Input Device (Win 7)
I have been trying to get this PIC32-Pinguino-OTG to work for over a month now. I have followed many tutorials, with the latest being this tutorial: http://wiki.pinguino.cc/index.php/Windows_7
but there are a few problems.
1. My computer won't recognize my board at all unless it is in "bootloader" mode -with the green and yellow flashing lights.
2. When putting it in bootloader mode, Windows 7 automatically installs drivers as a USB Input Device.
3. I cannot just plug my device into the USB and see an unrecognized device in the device manager window. Nor can I put it in bootloader mode and get an unrecognized device in the device manager window.

I have tried uninstalling the driver for the USB Input Device that it seems to be registering as and starting over, but then problem 3 arises, so I put it into bootloader mode and problem 2 arises all over again.

I have tried updating the drivers, as suggested in the aforementioned tutorial, but then Windows tells me that the current driver installed is the correct and up to date driver and won't let me update or change the drivers.

Is there any way to a.) manually force windows to recognize this board as a pinguino -or b.) update the drivers -or c.) prevent Windows from installing drivers for a USB Input Device -or d.) getting this board to show up as an unrecognized device without being in bootloader mode -or e.) any combination thereof?

I'm a 4th year computer science student with years of programming experience (since I was a teenager) and I have never, in my life, jumped through so many hoops and been so frustrated trying to get something so seemingly simple to work. Admittedly, I'm not a Windows user (Windows is new to me) so I guess I've been fortunate but this problem just seems to persist with no clear direction or light at the end of the tunnel, no matter what I do. I would have normally just tossed this thing in the garbage after a week of trying, but it cost me $40, students are relying on me getting this to work for a specific problem set and the board looks like a great platform if I could ever make any kind of headway in getting it to even attempt to work.

Can anyone please shed some light on something I'm doing wrong, or something that may be wrong with my machine so I can fix it and move on? Am I missing something here? Did I, maybe, do something out of order and the limitations of Windows will now forever prevent me from *attempting to use Pinguino without a reformat? Am I overlooking something simple? Is there a jumper I'm overlooking? Is there anything I can do? Surely, there has to be some kind of way to get Windows to recognize a Pinguino board -as I see others have gotten theirs to work.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
airspoon
11-08-2014, 02:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014, 02:13 AM by iyahdub.)
RE: Pinguino-OTG showing up as USB Input Device (Win 7)
(11-08-2014, 01:01 AM)airspoon Wrote: Matt Hartman

What version of the IDE are you using? my install on my win 7 was quite straightforward at the time of the 10.4 V and previous ones, not with beta version though Smile
Regarding the driver, i think win 7 will have the option to uninstall device and driver from Device manager. That not being enough, i remember seeing somewhere a list of all the changes created for manual uninstall ( not sure where, though...Maybe Olimex site? Memory aint that good)
11-08-2014, 06:41 PM,
RE: Pinguino-OTG showing up as USB Input Device (Win 7)
Why use Windows? It's much easier from Linux!

John