Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win 7 driver again
24-09-2014, 04:01 PM,
Win 7 driver again
Hello.

Thats 3 days trying and trying again so I'm a bit fed up with this.

Driver problem on W7, CDC.

I'm trying to communication with my PIC32 MX220 Olimex Pinguino board via usb. Using CDC (since I think USB as objet doesn't work as an object.)

So, I managed to put the card in that listening (using the 2 buttons) mode so that I could upload the Communication-USB-CDC-printf.pde sample that continously sends a string on the usb bus... (If I'm right)

It compiled, and was upload as seen on the picture I upload, and when resetted I begin to blink every 500MS, good ... (should be working , right ?)

OK 10 seconds after the reset, Windows installed "CDC RS-232 Emulation Demo" as a libusb 1.2.6 driver...

Then the libusb check executable shows my device (I think it shows my driver, not my device) as seen in the right window in the picture so all seems, OK.

BUT
It dit not innstall another COM port ... ? and when I use Libsubdotnet, which is supposedly using lubisb 1.2.6, I cannot use the simple READ sample to read what the pinguino is probably emitting . (the sample reads with a 5 sec tiemout which occurs... nothing)

so How can I check it al works ? How can I talk with my pinguino card ? Nothing seems to works (I can't tell you how many time I installed desinstalled reinstalled libusb)
I also followed word after word the Win drivers installation to reach this point

But I havent yest communicated with my card after 3 days of effort ? I thinking about giving up, for an arduino board.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

24-09-2014, 04:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-09-2014, 04:35 PM by pingotg.)
RE: Win 7 driver again
All sounds good except for the Win7 problem.

I think it should be a COM port (I use Linux and it is one on there) so I suppose that it's a driver (but not libusb driver) problem.

Someone may know what "magic" Win7 needs. (On Linux, nothing - it just works.)

Trying to use libusb may be causing the problem.

John
24-09-2014, 09:35 PM,
I would use anything that allow me to talk from Win to pinguino

I thought libusb-win32 1.2.6 was needed. Like written almost everywhere.

I want to send lines to pinguino, one at a time, and pinguino to reply acknoledges.
24-09-2014, 10:39 PM,
Could be, just seems weird but then Windows is. Hope a Win7 user comes along as I posted before and tells you the magic.

John
25-09-2014, 12:43 PM,
Hello Kriss,
In folder Examples\o4.Communications\USB\bulk you can find several .pde examples for Pinguino 8 bits to communicate between a PC host and Pinguino board.
These can be models to start for you.
Bye bye
André
25-09-2014, 04:39 PM,
He's using 32-bit (as his post says) and the problem looks to be Win7 (as everything says).

John
25-09-2014, 04:59 PM,
I'm using libusb-32 1.2.6, which is the library supposedly used by the IDE to talk to the card thruws its PyUSB addon I guess. (the one library advised  to instal near pyton and all...)

The windows is 64 bits (windows 7 64), 

I don't even know what I should find ...  I would love one more COM port , so that I could use any terminal program to see, send, and receive data for example.

The problem is I don't have any CDC com port installed, but a "libusb-win32 devices\CDC RS 232 Emulation Demo", which is not a com port. 

I managed to use some few . inf  files, that instal another com port (com3 and later com4)... but then they can't seem to start (error 10 yellow triangle)

I installed linux in a virtual machine but went nowhere from there (using tranparent usb port) (didnt see the tty people talk about)

I really don't know what I  should do, I can't really consider reainstall an OS for a 10 bucks card to work. (and drop all my win software ? lol )
I now have  plenty of drivers in windows catalog, that I don't know how to suppress...

I can't believe that noone uses windows 7 and has something that works and knows why.
25-09-2014, 06:17 PM,
If the problem is related to Win7 then a VM under it is vanishingly unlikely to help!

My feeling is it relates to 64-bit OS but 32-bit lib(s) and/or a driver problem.

Someone else probably is using Win7 64-bit (but I'm not). I see there's a mess of stuff on the wiki about how to use it. Looks really ugly.

Others have posted what may be the same problem, I googled (with the quotes):

"pinguino" "CDC RS 232 Emulation Demo"

John
26-09-2014, 10:55 AM,
Salut Kriss,
Je viens d'essayer Printf.pde sur une Pinguino PIC32 MX250 (le kit de Régis) sous Win7 64bits. Cela marche.
Je joins 3 captures de fenêtre pour expliciter ce que j'ai fait.
Voici ma procédure :
- libusb-win32 1.2.6.0 est installé depuis longtemps et a été réinstallé hier suite à des pbs avec Python27.
- j'ai compilé Printf.pde et uploadé le .hex à partir de l'IDE x.4
- l'USB Serial Port (COM19) s'est installé automatiquement au reset de la carte en fin d'upload. Une mini-fenêtre en bas à droite m'a averti de cette création. J'ai vérifié via le gestionnaire de périphériques l'existence du COM19 (voir les captures).
- j'ai lancé Hyperterminal et créé une "config" CDCcom19. La connection étant établie l'impression s'effectue normalement.

Comment as-tu obtenu CDC RS232 emulation demo ? via la lib Microchip application qui selon mes souvenirs contient ce driver.
A mon avis il faut le désinstaller via le gestionnaire de périphériques puis suivre ma procédure.

J'ai eu aussi pas mal de déboires avec Win7 CDC et libusb.
Il faut persévérer ... Je reste à ta disposition.
André

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

26-09-2014, 12:53 PM,
OK Simply put : it works !!! (well at least on the com port, (not libusb yet))

What I did is  (Following my previous post : "i dont even know how to get rid of those drivers..." ) : I first cleannest up the drivers using :

cmd

cd %windir%\inf

for %a in (oem*.inf) do find /i "4D8" %a >>out.txt

notepad out.txt

4D8 is the manufactrer of my card (Microchip I believe) (Or its Pic) (Vendor ID in the inf file)

So I could Find the polluting drivers and delete both the inf and pch files.

Then I unplugged and replugged my card : and Woot : Win7 created a COM4 port.

Then some terminal program plugged at 115kb on the  COM4 port showed the "float = 0.0" emitted by the card in the printf.pde sample.. (btw the float should be incremented in the loop in the sample but the output continues to write 0.0 ... strange, anyway that's another story )

I had a good driver still in it seems into my windows, (.inf and .cat file), because win still created the COM4, (I had made so many tries, there could be an alien in my regisitry)
So, Not sure about Winusb 1.2.6 yet, but I have my COM port on that first PC. and some communication.

Now I went on another PC, still windows 7, 64bit. 
And I searched what John (Pingotg) suggested : "pinguino" "CDC RS 232 Emulation Demo" and found 
this thread : by moreno and JPM... http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?tid=3419 
in which  could find this link to a driver : http://linux.gatewaybbs.com.au/~zapper/E...chpcdc.zip 
that correctly installed a COM4 on my other PC (didn't have to clear a thing). So I have 2 WIN7 64 CDC talking to my MX220 card... just great !

I'm not completly done yet, because I would really love to have winusb 1.2.6 , so that the c# code I have from libusbdotnet works. But at least I can open the COM4 port and work with that even with .NET. I'll deal with that. 

Technical remark : there is a program called zadig (mine is 2.1.0) that install various serial emulation using 3 types of drivers : WinUsb, LibusbK or libusb-win32 (v1.2.6.0) (the one I would like to see working) : this program tells me that the current driver on my working COM4 is usbser (v5.1.2600.7) (as written in the .inf : DRIVERFILENAME ="usbser")
I gues I'll try to replace it with libusb-win32; or simply reinstall winusb-win32.

One question for André : the win7 turorial indicates to put libusb0.dll from libusb-win32, in the syswow64 folder on an W7-64 plateform. the installers I saw install that dll in system32 ... not syswow64... Since your configuration works : where is that DLL for you (I would says system32, and thus the tutorial saying syswow64 would be wrong, and may be the cause of all those problems...) (This question is not related to cdc but to winusb-32 which is a part of my troubles)

Anyway : I can't tell you my gratitude for all your efforts that brought me to the solution. Thanks a thousand times !

André : I sent you a private message in french yesterday when I had not yet found any solution, I think you had not seen it ? And I would be honored to investategate a little more about the remaining libusb stuff still going on on my side (Will winusb work on my new COM port ... Will those c# sample work...)

Long life to pinguino !