Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinguino MX220 : binking led problem what the ... ?
11-11-2014, 12:42 PM,
RE: Pinguino MX220 : binking led problem what the ... ?
Yes, same board. I just used series 330R for each LED. Code is the obvious:
void setup(void)
{
pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
pinMode(6, OUTPUT);
pinMode(7, OUTPUT);
}

void loop(void)
{
toggle(4);
delay(1000);
toggle(5);
delay(1000);
toggle(6);
delay(1000);
toggle(7);
delay(1000);
}

John
11-11-2014, 12:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-11-2014, 10:45 PM by KrissNC.)
Thanks a ton,

Ok I gave it a try.

Guess what ... it worked. I had the 4 leds (using my  transistors)

But

it froze after 2 minutes.

then I uploaded a simple userled blink
and it froze after 2 minutes.

I give up that pinguino board. enough.

Now I must choose wheter  I continue with pinguino or switch to arduino.
I need something reliable
17-11-2014, 12:53 PM,
Any suggestion on a reliable and rich featured pinguino board ?
18-11-2014, 07:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014, 07:38 PM by pingotg.)
If it froze you have something weird. As it didn't work at all before, I suspect you have/had bad wiring that caused/causes damage or overheating or the like or bad power supply.

I leave boards running for months, usually till the mains power goes off due to some idiot digging up a cable or similar.

In case it's your way of wiring that caused damage then you need to find what was wrong or it will happen with every board, whatever uC is on it.

The Pinguino32 OTG has more features and wider power supply voltages. You still need power that is OK and to do wiring that also is OK.

John
19-11-2014, 09:47 PM,
I am very confident about the wiring, wiring problem would not allow leds to blink for 2 minute and then freeze. repeatadly even with the most simple single led sample.

I'll try with a simple 330ohms before the led and nopthing else. just in case.

I think my card is faulty

I wonder If I could use this board to upload(program) a bootloader in another pic, to build a new board.
20-11-2014, 04:51 AM,
KrissNC,

When there is a problem to be traced, the simple rule is always going 'back to basic'. I would suggest a few things to try. Besides, there are many things to give hint on the possible cause such as change of the led brightness during the test before stopping.

1) Instead of using transistor as low side switch to drive the led, drive it directly from the io as you mentioned. This will eliminate the possible problem caused by the transistor.

2) Instead of driving leds, leave the output unconnected and just measure the output voltage using the multimether. This sill eliminate the bad led.

3) Instead of driving 4 external leds, drive the 2 leds on-board to test the board. This will give hint of the bad board or pic.

4) You may want to get help from John (pingotg) to test with each other's hex file for the same source he posted. This will test the possible error caused by the compiler and library.

5) If you have pic programmer such as pickit 3, write the same program using MPLAB IDE to test. This will test the compiler, library and bootloader.

Using your MX220 board as ICSP programmer to program another PIC is possible theoretically, but I haven't seen a ready program to do so yet. There are some works done to replicate itself for PIC18F at http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?tid=4378 but I don't know if it will work for MX220. If you make another board, I guess your concern is to duplicate the bootloader from MX220 to the new board. If you do, you will need to make sure the same io pins are used for button and leds or else, the new board may not work. It would be easier to buy a real programmer to copy bootloader to the new board.

As for the suggestion of the good board, Olimex PIC32-Pinguino-OTG John recommended is a good choice among all. MX440F256 on board has large flash and RAM enough for most program though it is not the biggest. The board has everything you need for a project including SD and OTG. It is not only good for general purpose testing and developing a program but also easy to implement a special purpose project with custom interface on a proto shield. If you want to develop a time sensitive project, Olimex PIC32-Pinguino-Micro could be a better choice. The lack of 32KHz crystal allows you to add TCXO based RTC to pump in 32KHz and 1Hz signal to the board for accurate time base, and the small size enables making a portable measuring tool or logger easier. If you want to go with for something different flavour like bsd, the bigger is the better and PIC32-T795 is the choice.

DJ
20-11-2014, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014, 11:06 AM by pingotg.)
You can even program any PIC32 (via ICSP) using a cheap USB serial board or a USBASP - see such as http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_p...PN=1&TPN=3

A cheap PIC32 board but I don't think it has specific Pinguino support is http://www.bypic.byvac.com/index.php/BV502 (the V2 boards are especially good).

John