Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIC18F4550 Pinguino Board for High School Students
19-04-2015, 01:03 PM,
PIC18F4550 Pinguino Board for High School Students
In the past few weeks I have been working in a Pinguino board based in the PIC18F4550 with pedagogical purposes.

Pinguino PIC18F4550 DevBoard

This board will be used in a high-school by students to develop electronics systems. The school is located in Trelew, province of Chubut, Argentina.
(We really close to real Penguins, in fact we can visit them at Punta Tombo, the so called "paradise of the penguins").

The idea behind this design is build an ecosystem around the Pinguino environment, with shield/capes and everything needed to quickly setup and run complex systems.

E.g. 16x2 LCD Shield

The design was intended to be built by students or hobbyist with some knowledge in electronics, and for that reason the pcb is single side, all thru-hole, to simplify manufacturing.

Specs

- Board :

85x57mm
29 I/O available (Port A, Port B, Port C, Port D)
ICSP connector (for external programmer such as Microchip Pickit 3)
USB connector (for USB communication, USB programming and Power)
Supports 4/8/12/20/48MHz crystal (primary oscillator)
Power and User Led
3x3mm fixing holes

- Power

USB 5V - 500mA max.
Power adapter (center positive) : 6.5 - 12V - 1A max.
Battery : 6.5 - 12V.
Reverse polarity protection.

- DevBoard Poster

.jpg   Pinguino_18F4550_Info_Poster_low_res.jpg (Size: 460.96 KB / Downloads: 43)

Real board

Here I attach the fabrication files for those interested in build your one.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...sp=sharing

Finally, a little video of the Pinguino project deployed in classroom.

https://youtu.be/Grt2dAfG-XQ

As soon as I get build some new shields, I will upload them.

I hope you like, and find it useful.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appriciated.
22-04-2015, 09:26 AM,
Heart  RE: PIC18F4550 Pinguino Board for High School Students
Great ! Congratulation.
Is your board based on a Arduino form factor ?
Is it fully pin-compatible with the IDE's Pinguino 4550 board definition ?
Otherwise, give it a name and I will add your board to the official Pinguino list.
Just to be coherent with the open-source spirit ;-) , do you plan to make a Kicad version instead of an Eagle one ?
Keep the good work,
Régis
It is easier to complain than it is to do, but it is better to do than it is to complain.
23-04-2015, 12:01 PM,
RE: PIC18F4550 Pinguino Board for High School Students
Hi regis!

Thanks for your comments!

Here are some clarification points:

- The board is fully compatible with the IDE's definition. You can take a look at the board poster, the pink reference is the IDE's pin definition.
- The board is NOT pin to pin compatible with Arduino.
- The form factor is influenced by Arduino but is NOT compatible (This is a Pinguino board Smile  ).

The idea behind the board is to build an ecosystem around the Pinguino environment for the PIC18F4550 (Also PIC18F2550, I am working on it).

I designed the board to standardize some dimensions and pin positions to simplify the design of shields for the Pinguino Project and, at the same time, that the board be cheap and simple to build (DIY).

Yes, I will make the Kicad version to be coherent with the open-source spirit   Big Grin . In these days I will be posting the Kicad design.

Leonardo.
01-05-2015, 06:04 PM,
L.,

What a great board, simple and clean design! Thanks for sharing.

I sent you a message via Google, regarding your earlier video with the PIC and  6050 IMU.

Love to correspond.

Best,

Randy
23-06-2015, 11:08 AM,
Hi,

Sorry for the delay! Lately I've been very busy.

I comment that the Pinguino project is going very well here in the school! Students are developing their final year electronics project with this board and, thankfully, it's a success! They are building their own shields depending on the final project needs.

After having to learn to use Kicad and the libraries maintenance system (some libraries had errors. For example diode inverted pins!), here I leave the printed circuit design for Pinguino board based on the PIC18F4550.

.zip   Pinguino PIC18F4550 Kicad.zip (Size: 45.45 KB / Downloads: 15)

Leonardo.
23-06-2015, 11:04 PM,
(23-06-2015, 11:08 AM)Leonardo Wrote: Hello Leonardo,

thank you to share this pcb.

I have a problem when I open the file on Kicad.

it tells me that it misses the following libraries:

18f4550

maxim

Could you send them to me?

Thank you

Enzo

Hi,

Sorry for the delay! Lately I've been very busy.

I comment that the Pinguino project is going very well here in the school! Students are developing their final year electronics project with this board and, thankfully, it's a success! They are building their own shields depending on the final project needs.

After having to learn to use Kicad and the libraries maintenance system (some libraries had errors. For example diode inverted pins!), here I leave the printed circuit design for Pinguino board based on the PIC18F4550.

Leonardo.
24-06-2015, 01:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-06-2015, 01:41 PM by Leonardo.)
Hi seen024, thanks for your interest in my Pinguino board.

I will try to help you, although I'm not an expert in Kicad.
I have open the project in Kicad and it's warning me with the same message that appear to you. Nevertheless, the project files load up fine and the pcb and sch files are ok.
Maybe it's has to do with the library management system of Kicad. I'm not using any custom library, only Kicad included libraries, so there should be no problem with the libraries on the project.
Are you able to load the project files? Is there missing components in the SCH or missing footprints in the PCB?
By the way, I'm using Kicad build 2015-may-25-BZR on windows 7 x64.
21-02-2016, 03:59 PM,
Wink  RE: PIC18F4550 Pinguino Board for High School Students
Leonardo, am very thankful for your contribution with this board, was planning to do almost the same for my school and bang found your work which will save me lots of works, again thanks a lot for sharing.