Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st timer trouble uploading blink to pic32 pinguino
22-05-2015, 06:40 PM,
1st timer trouble uploading blink to pic32 pinguino
I have just installed Pinguino IDE on windows Vista computer using Windows Pinguino IDE installer.

This all went smoothly except for the last bit where one installs LibUSB-Win32. This is the first time I have come across such a utility program and cannot figure out what its purpose is. When clicking on "Install a device filter" a large number of Hardware ID's are shown and it is not clear to me which one is for my Pinguino. Maybe someone could help by providing a little background info and what this program is for and why it is needed for Pinguino as never needed before for any other microcontroller I've used.

Now more to the point, I selected first example Blink and attempted to upload onto my pic32 pinguino but could not do so. Program compiled with no problems:

[OUT] Compiling: C:\pinguino-11\user\examples.Basics\Blink\Blink.pde
[OUT] Board: PIC32 Pinguino
[OUT] Proc: 32MX440F256H
... etc.
[OUT] Compiling: C:\pinguino-11\user\examples.Basics\Blink\Blink.pde
[OUT] Board: PIC32 Pinguino
[OUT] Proc: 32MX440F256H

Then uploading... it tells me
[DEBUG] Starting '__upload__' from 'qtgui.pinguino_api.pinguino_tools'
[DEBUG] Starting 'upload' from 'qtgui.pinguino_api.uploader.uploader'
[DEBUG] Looking for a Pinguino device ...
...etc

This happens no matter if I place board in bootloader mode or not and even if I unplug the board from usb. So I know it is not finding my pic32 pinguino.

As an MBED user you get to see the virtual drive loaded the windows file manager and with Arduino IDE you can tell if the Port number is visible or otherwise. Here I cannot find anything in IDE to help.

So how does one troubleshoot this problem as still learning the ropes as newbie. 

Any advice greatly appreciated.
23-05-2015, 11:09 AM,
RE: 1st timer trouble uploading blink to pic32 pinguino
I wish to update my previous post as I have now solved the problem.

For the benefit of others who may experience a similar problem this is what I did, as it is not clear in the installation documentation.

When you install the Pinguino IDE v11 Software on Windows a utility program is included at the end of the install called LibUSB-Win32. It was not clear at the time what this is for and how you use it. I had to go back and try out a few things, which seem to get it working.

The first thing is that you are presented with is the "filter wizard". Choose "install a device filter". You are then presented with a list hardware ids and descriptions. It took me awhile to work out which one listed related to my pinguino board as I had many others listed. It is a process of elimination to work out which pops up when placing pinguino in bootloader mode. Then select the one and choose install.

I then used the inf wizard and selected the one I wanted. You go through a number of menu options. You then get to install driver. I did this. Then when I loaded my pinguino IDE I was able to upload programs to my pic32 pinguino board. Smile
23-05-2015, 04:19 PM,
Wink  RE: 1st timer trouble uploading blink to pic32 pinguino
thank you...BIG time...

help from a guy that was asking a question.... cool