Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bootloaders
19-02-2016, 06:17 PM,
Bootloaders
What is the latest bootloader for the Pinguino Micro PIC32MX440 80 MHz, 8 Mhz Crystal?
Is the source code available?
Are special setting necessary to load using PICKIT3 or MPLABX?

Thanks

Dennis
19-02-2016, 07:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-02-2016, 07:18 PM by jwzumwalt.)
RE: Bootloaders
I am no expert on the Pinguino boot loader. I am using the Olimex 32bit Micro that came with the loader preloaded. However, I can give some information to get you started and others may correct some of what I think I know.

The bootloaders are located at...
https://github.com/PinguinoIDE/pinguino-bootloaders

I do not know if there are multiple sites or if this one is the "official" site.

As I understand it, the source code for the boot loaders has not been made public. But I am aware of at least one person who wrote their own loader. It uses VB in Win Studio 2008. I have it some where and will try to find it.

[Image: bootloader.png]
I believe (but have not tried) a mplab program could be run if the ORG was set to 0x004. I have not used mplab in a long time and I do not know if it would overwrite the jump vector at 0x000. You might have to include that too. I also do not know if mplab could be loaded to protect the bootloader program. It might have to be re-loaded too.

This will get you started, and I hope more knowledgeable individuals will add to this information.
----------------
Thanks,
j
wzumwalt
 (\__/)
 (='.'=)
 (")_(")
19-02-2016, 08:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-02-2016, 09:13 PM by djsmisc@gmail.com.)
JW,

When you enter boot mode (holding down the butt button, when connecting power/USB; or but->reset), do you see fast alternating green-yellow LEDS?

I have no problem programming the Pinguino Micro using the MPLABX IDE ICSP directly, but for some 'odd' reason the new OLIMEX boards (from Mouser) don't want to go into 'green-yellow' boot mode
?><??>?<>?

Thanks,

Dennis
19-02-2016, 09:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-02-2016, 09:18 PM by jwzumwalt.)
(19-02-2016, 08:56 PM)djsmisc@gmail.com Wrote: JW,

When you enter boot mode (holding down the butt button, when connecting power/USB; or but->reset), do you see fast alternating green-yellow LEDS?

Thanks,

Dennis

Yes!
The alternating blinking leds is the bootloader saying it is working and looking for a program to be sent to the PIC chip through the USB port.

What board are you using?
----------------
Thanks,
j
wzumwalt
 (\__/)
 (='.'=)
 (")_(")
19-02-2016, 09:26 PM,
I have the PIC32 - Pinguino Micro - Rev. B....
I've tried loading the HIDPIC32MX440.hex but I just get the green LED flashing 3-4 times a second.
????
19-02-2016, 10:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016, 03:50 AM by jwzumwalt.)
I believe the new boards from Olimex are programmed for the MPIDE IDE not the Pingunio.cc.

This forum had a problem with messages that had criticism being deleted, it became common knowledge and so most folks moved to Ucide or Mpide. The Pingunio.cc has been very slow to correct problems and I think Olimex got tired of it and switched support to MPIDE about two months ago.

I have modified the Pinguino.cc until it works for me, but that is not something that most folks would be willing to do.

How did you try to load the bootloader - what tool chain or program did you use?
----------------
Thanks,
j
wzumwalt
 (\__/)
 (='.'=)
 (")_(")
20-02-2016, 02:11 AM,
I used the PICKIT3 stand alone, and the MPLAB X. I have the ISCP connection, and have no problem writing and running new C programs for the PIC32/Pinguino Micro board using both LEDs. However, none of bootloader?.hex files I have found will result in the green/yellow bootloader mode.

Is the original hex on the Pinguino available?
20-02-2016, 02:53 AM,
(20-02-2016, 02:11 AM)djsmisc@gmail.com Wrote: I used the PICKIT3 stand alone, and the MPLAB X.  I have the ISCP connection, and have no problem writing and running new C programs for the PIC32/Pinguino Micro board using both LEDs.  However, none of bootloader?.hex files I have found will result in the green/yellow bootloader mode.

Is the original hex on the Pinguino available?

My Olimex micro boards are two years old but they say rev "b". I've never reloaded the boot. You might want to try the Olimex Forum for 32bit here...

https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0
----------------
Thanks,
j
wzumwalt
 (\__/)
 (='.'=)
 (")_(")
20-02-2016, 07:50 PM,
(19-02-2016, 09:26 PM)djsmisc@gmail.com Wrote: I have the PIC32 - Pinguino Micro - Rev. B....
I've tried loading the HIDPIC32MX440.hex  but I just get the green LED flashing 3-4 times a second.
????

That looks like the wrong file name - can you check it?

John
20-02-2016, 11:06 PM,
I've tried the:
MX4-Bootloader_Olimex_PIC32_Pinguino.hex
with MPIDE and the board still doesn't go into boot mode with green-yellow.?????